Proper Tire Pressure by 85fieroguy
Started on: 03-06-2021 05:36 PM
Replies: 9 (358 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-11-2021 09:14 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2021 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have 225-60-r 15 tires on my 85GT with 44 psi max. What is the good psi ?? Seems 40psi ( cold) makes the car " rattle" and 35 psi seems soft ( like my head). Need the proper psi ( cold) for a decent ride. Replies please.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2021 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 225/55-16 rear and 205/55-16 front. I run right around 30 psi front and rear. And my favorite thing to do is rip thru turns on back roads.

The type of tire can make a big difference also....Some tires are still using 1980s technology......I am running General G-max tires. They are an All-season performance tire and yet not too expensive- Tire rack testing rates them very highly.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2021 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero and many other cars w/ OE tire sizes need 30psi.
Most alt sizes need same psi because most "big" tire size isn't big enough to matter.
Most "books" w/ pictures showing over/under inflation vs tire wear are useless unless way over or under for a long time.

"225-60-r 15" and other sizes is only part of story...
Changing brands or models of same brand can affect your ride quality given tires get same psi.

If you have suspension problems or worse mods, likely that is or adds to your problems.
Example: Lower cars often use OE size shocks and struts and run both out of range. Monroe w/ slotted tubes often will see more of that but Any brand can bottom out travel and have problems or ultimately destroy them.

I use 32-33 psi mainly so don't need add psi as weather temp drops during cold days. Most car tires add/subtract 1psi as weather changes 10°F up/down and weather is crazy this winter. This week says 30° last few days to 70° by Thur...
In "summer" ~ 31 psi just so don't need air every couple weeks to stay @ 30.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2021 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the tire pressure calculator if you change from OEM 215 x 60-15's rear tires to 225 x 45 -17 rear tires the pressure must increase from 30 psi to 34 psi .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My opinion (take it for what it's worth...) is start at 32 cold. These cars are light. The 44 you see on the sidewall is for maximum load handling. You don't need that, it will ride like a truck and burn the center out of the tire tread. Pay attention to your rire wear. If it looks like the edges are wearing excessively, add some air. If it looks like the middle of the tread is wearing faster, take some out. You'll probably find that 32 or so is pretty good.
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for all advice. Will do 32 psi and enjoy the ride without the rattles. Was doing 40psi, now I know better thanks to you guys.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And to expand on that for a moment: 32 or 32-to-35 is most likely what was recommended by GM on the little sticker on the door jamb. I'd go check mine, but it is at home and I am at the office.

Sometimes that number varies wildly from what is marked on the tire. The Ford Rangers we used to buy here at the shop came with Firestone tires marked as 45 PSI maximum.... But the sticker on the door called for 25 PSI. Quite a variation.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't remember for sure but my 85 2.5 sticker said 2.4 or 2.5 bar on both axles which equals to 35-36 psi. That seems pretty high around here, so that's why I remember the whereabouts. Most cars around here have 2.0 to 2.2 bar depending on passenger number, luggage or no and which axle front or rear.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "45 PSI Max" on the side of the tire is the MAXIMUM pressure....Not the pressure you run the tire at. My 1985 Fiero with 215/60-14 tires was labeled at 30 psi. on the door sticker; Remember that as the tire heats up the air pressure will go up......30 psi (Cold) becomes 38-40 psi on a really hot day with a bunch of corner turning.

Supposedly, the only tires that run at close to their maximum air pressure are trailer tires.

On my Uplander van, the recommend tire pressure is 35 psi......I run 35 on the front tires but dropped the rear tire pressure to 32 because of the light load- otherwise the rear tires will wear out in the middle. I got 40,000 miles out of my General Altimax tires.....and I actually replaced them because they were getting old (6 years)- not because the tread was wore out...

The reason that most vehicles have only one tire pressure for both front and rear tires (Even though the FF Vehicles have weight distribution of 60% front/ 40 % rear (Or worse) is because the manufacturers think (Correctly) that most customers are dumber than TWO boxes of rocks and having two different pressures will lead to confusion and mistakes...(Most people nowadays can't even change a FLAT!!!)
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2021 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, The "45 PSI Max" is Max in a Cold Tire and not driven for Several Hours at minimum. Preferred parked overnight & check in morning before sun heats one side of vehicle.
Sticker/book inflation is same, Cold Inflation.

⚠️ Max Cold inflation will change from tire model etc. Always check sidewall before pushing inflation up.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock