Wheel well covers by The_Q42
Started on: 03-01-2021 12:02 PM
Replies: 15 (355 views)
Last post by: Will on 03-12-2021 07:47 AM
The_Q42

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Q42Send a Private Message to The_Q42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all!

So, rebuilding my Fiero is going to mean some serious rust repair/removal/mitigation in the rear of the frame (a pretty common issue). Once I get all of that done, I REALLY don't want it to come back. What I can't find, however, is replacements for all of the wheel well covers. I even did a search on the forum for them (and maybe used the wrong keywords), but I'm talking about the caps above the wheels, and the sheet-like things that go behind them. Is there anywhere to buy these things in relatively good shape?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Wheel well" or "wheel well liner" is prolly what you mean, ie part #4 in this diagram.

AFAIK they're not available new, but can be had from the usual used sources (junkyard or the Mall here.)

Do note that they differ by body/trim style, ie the GT is different from the bumper pad style, and the aero nose that isn't on GT's might be different yet (I have no experience with the third, only the first two.) Prolly easiest to post a picture of your car's bumper and say "I need liners for this."

Depending on how badly trashed yours are (plastic parts vs the rubber), you might choose to repair rather than replace. I had a set where some holes were cracked or egged out. Was easy to fix by sandwiching a thin (~1/16") piece of styrene from the hobby store on each side, epoxy, clamp, then redrill holes and shape with Dremel.

-- A
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
AFAIK there are 4 different styles probably 5

84 (this is a guess as 84 has quirks that im not yet willing to learn)
85-87 Aero this will be on GTs and SEs with the aero side trim and GT nose.
85-87 Non-Aero This is on cars without the aero side trim and without the GT nose.
88 Aero this will be on GTs and SEs with the aero side trim and GT nose.
88 Non-Aero This is on cars without the aero side trim and without the GT nose.

88 is different because the cutouts for the brake line routing is different. I believe its more drastic up front due to the suspension changes as well.

ALSO it gets a little funny because the rears are also stapled together the front half is probably the same for 85-87 but id have to go look out in the parts to confirm but I think they are suppose to be 1 part.
The_Q42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_Q42Send a Private Message to The_Q42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info guys! I'll get some pictures of mine in the future. I think you're right about the part numbers (I also want the lower bits that attach below part 4). Mine is an '86 SE with the GT nose that I'll be converting to a fastback (I already have the fastback body panels).
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i looked 84 is different and not on this list this is the PN list for rears.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an 1985 "GT" in the Cincinnati U-pay&pull......The front well-liners would fit your car....Not sure about the rears (But I have modified mine to fit my '85 SE with 88 rear suspension and 87-88 front base nose cap)
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recall a few years back needing a wheel well liner and couldn't find one for my 87GT. I ended up purchasing one for a notchback and just stapled on the add on piece from the old liner that was needed to match what was on the GT. In short the liners were the same but the GT just has an extra small piece stapled on. Its been a while but I believe that it was the front liner that I replaced. Most parts guys don't save these parts as they rarely break. While they are common parts they can be difficult to find.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On Ronnie Finger's newest video (part 14) he replaces the sheetlike material.

He was going to purchase the material and make new ones, but he discovered that they were available for purchase.

Anyone know from where?
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TFS

Pretty cheap for what labor and materials would be. He probably decided not to mention them after his exhaust problem.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 03-07-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

TFS

Pretty cheap for what labor and materials would be. He probably decided not to mention them after his exhaust problem.

The wheel well liners were heat molded in shape of a poly material to fit the wheel well. I don't see how this could be done with just the material and without the original molds. If you are talking about the rain flaps in the rear, they are nearly flat and I could see making them.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The wheel well liners were heat molded in shape of a poly material to fit the wheel well. I don't see how this could be done with just the material and without the original molds. If you are talking about the rain flaps in the rear, they are nearly flat and I could see making them.

https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=56163&d=224&p=1

https://www.fierostore.com/...%20%208487&d=224&p=1

I think Rodney Dickman used to sell these as well.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=56163&d=224&p=1

https://www.fierostore.com/...%20%208487&d=224&p=1

I think Rodney Dickman used to sell these as well.

Then we need to specify either splash shields or wheel well liners. The ones that I were referring to cover the entire inside of the wheel well top and sides. Perhaps I misunderstood the OP.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Then we need to specify either splash shields or wheel well liners. The ones that I were referring to cover the entire inside of the wheel well top and sides. Perhaps I misunderstood the OP.

Nope op was talking about wheel wells. Somebody hijacked and asked about splash shields.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2021 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right... splash shields got mentioned, and are wheel well liner adjacent.

There are no re-pro wheel well liners, though. They have to come off the used market.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2021 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can confirm the aero 88 liners are different than pre-88 aero liners. I believe it was the front I was able to modify from a pre-88 but the pre-88 rear wasn't useable in an 88. I may have that reversed between front and rear however.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2021 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have that reversed front-to-rear.

The '88 parking brake cable comes from in front of the rear axle, and there is a provision for it in the rear wheel well liners. The '84-'87 parking brake cable comes in from behind the axle.

The '88 front suspension is completely different than the early front suspension, but the packaging envelope is similar... There isn't anything big that pops into my head right away about the '87-'88 differences in that area.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock