Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  SECOND REBUILT ENGINE HAS ARRIVED, BUT THERE IS STILL SOMETHING WRONG. HELP!!!!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
SECOND REBUILT ENGINE HAS ARRIVED, BUT THERE IS STILL SOMETHING WRONG. HELP!!!! by eti engineer
Started on: 02-27-2021 07:19 PM
Replies: 13 (553 views)
Last post by: eti engineer on 04-04-2021 10:37 AM
eti engineer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, my second rebuilt engine from Accurate Engines has arrived but it appears there is something wrong. It is supposed to be a 1994 LA1 engine from a Chevy. This is what I was told in this forum that I needed to order, after I ordered a 2001 engine, only to find it was not what I needed. Unlike the first engine, the exhaust manifolds fit perfectly, but the original intake manifold isn't even close. From other posts in here, I though the original intake manifold would work. It appears that everything will work except the intake pieces. Do I need to get a different manifold? Not sure what has happened here. Sure can use some help. (see photos below. I can send more if needed). Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by eti engineer (edited 02-27-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm definitely not an expert but from what I've seen the L32, 3.4L 6-cylinders from the 1993-1995 Firebirds or Camaros are the "drop-in" replacements for the L67, 2.8L 6-cylinders in the Fiero. You do have to swap sides for the starter and probably uprate your injectors but that seems to be the easiest and least expensive because most of the things you take off the 2.8 bolt on to the 3.4.

My guess is if you're going to stick with the LA1, you'll need the intake off of an LA1 so everything in top end aligns. Maybe some of the other Forum members can give you a work-around so you can use the intake from the2.8.

Good luck.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your replacement engine has aluminum heads. The Fiero intake system won't bolt up to aluminum heads. Like Mike In Sydney, I know little about your replacement engine, but from what I read, most aluminum head engines require different pistons at a minimum, when iron heads are installed.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero intake will only bolt to iron heads. Period.
The only 3.4 that comes with those heads is the L32. That engine came only in the 93-95 Camaro or Firebird.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have three options:

1. Complete the "3400" Gen 3 swap using parts from a donor car. Then, get it past California smog.

2. Remove the aluminium heads, and install Fiero iron heads + intake onto the LA1 shortblock. Yes, this will result in a low compression ratio (slightly reduced torque and fuel efficiency), but it works. I have "3100" pistons and iron heads on my Fiero.

3. As per option two, but replace the LA1 pistons with the L32 Camarobird pistons to restore the compression ratio to a more stock level.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2021 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

You have three options:

1. Complete the "3400" Gen 3 swap using parts from a donor car. Then, get it past California smog.

2. Remove the aluminium heads, and install Fiero iron heads + intake onto the LA1 shortblock. Yes, this will result in a low compression ratio (slightly reduced torque and fuel efficiency), but it works. I have "3100" pistons and iron heads on my Fiero.

3. As per option two, but replace the LA1 pistons with the L32 Camarobird pistons to restore the compression ratio to a more stock level.

Option 3 is what you want. Send a PM to lou_dias and he will share the details of how to do it and why it is a better choice than the straight Camaro-bird 3.4. I will forward you part of a PM Lou kindly sent to me about this issue. What you really wanted was to get the 3400 short block instead of the long block but you can try to sell the rebuilt heads to get back some of the money.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

You have three options:

All of those are viable. But there is an "Option 4".

Send it back (assuming you still can) and specify a 93-95 Camarobird 3.4. L32. VIN "S".

Drill holes in the left "wing" of the block to move the starter to the other side. Rodney Dickman sells a tool for this exact job.
Bolt on your Fiero intake and accessories, and a small brass oil sender fitting (nitpicking, here) and call it a day.

This is the simplest way to accomplish what you want to do, and still look like a stock engine to the CA Smog Jockeys.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notorio:

Option 3 is what you want. Send a PM to lou_dias and he will share the details of how to do it and why it is a better choice than the straight Camaro-bird 3.4. I will forward you part of a PM Lou kindly sent to me about this issue. What you really wanted was to get the 3400 short block instead of the long block but you can try to sell the rebuilt heads to get back some of the money.

Thanks for the help. I think this is my best bet at this point. Can I use the heads from the original 2.8 liter engine? I told them that this was for a Fiero engine exchange, but they just can't seem to get it right. I am almost tempted to get my money back, rebuild the old 2.8 and put it back in the car. The engine and tranny had to come out because of gasket and seals leaking, so it wasn't a waste of time to pull it. If you can forward that stuff from Lou to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks again...
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure this was already covered, in previous thread. Anyway, yes that looks like an LA1 (aka 3400 SFI). It has aluminum heads. Your Fiero engine parts will only fit a 3.4 with iron heads. And the only 3.4 that came with iron heads was the '93-95 Camaro / Firebird.

GM made several versions of the 3.4 V6 engine, and they're all different. So when you purchase a 3.4 V6 from an engine supplier, you need to be specific, or you'll get the wrong one. In your case, you want the 3.4 V6 with iron heads. Once again, that engine only came in the '93-95 Camaro and Firebird. The engine code is L32 (not LA1).

You could modify that 3400 to make it work. But to do it right, you'll need to throw away half the engine and replace it with the correct parts.
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to be the Debbie downer. Im going to give OP the full benefit of the doubt here and say he ordered mostly correct both times. If this engine builder has messed up logistics for completed products. What's going on with the parts inside?
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2021 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by eti engineer:

Thanks for the help. I think this is my best bet at this point. Can I use the heads from the original 2.8 liter engine? I told them that this was for a Fiero engine exchange, but they just can't seem to get it right. I am almost tempted to get my money back, rebuild the old 2.8 and put it back in the car. The engine and tranny had to come out because of gasket and seals leaking, so it wasn't a waste of time to pull it. If you can forward that stuff from Lou to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks again...

I think you might be making a mistake, here. You can to to Jegs, and get the ATK Engines Remanufactured Crate Engine for 1993-1995 GM F-Body with 3.4L V6 (Part Number: 059-DCC9). This is a Vin Code S engine with iron heads and a 36-month warranty. I'd seriously be looking at sending the wrong one back and getting a this as a replacement. Alternatively, you could have the 2.8 rebuilt.
PFF
System Bot
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

I think you might be making a mistake, here. You can to to Jegs, and get the ATK Engines Remanufactured Crate Engine for 1993-1995 GM F-Body with 3.4L V6 (Part Number: 059-DCC9). This is a Vin Code S engine with iron heads and a 36-month warranty. I'd seriously be looking at sending the wrong one back and getting a this as a replacement. Alternatively, you could have the 2.8 rebuilt.

I have sent the engine back. The engine they sent me was the wrong one and they have agreed to just give me my money back. In the meantime, I have found a local builder only 15 miles away and they will bore and stroke my old engine, put a new cam in it and for a lower price. I talked to the guy who owns the place and he is the same age as I am , 71, and we hit it off very well. He is very knowledgeable and told me that after I bring the engine over we can talk about what can be done and go from there. I only went with the original place because my friend recommended them. After reading their history with the BBB and Yelp, I shouldn't have even considered them. Do not use Accurate Engines for anything.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you'll be very happy with the result. You could wind up with more HP & torque than the 3.4l has. I'm sure the folks on the list can offer suggestions on cams, roller rockers, head and manifold porting to make the 2.8 perform pretty well.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2021 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the input. I have shipped this 3.4 back, gotten my money back and am having a local builder rebuild my old engine. I will gain a few horsies in the build, but nothing crazy. A warning to all, DO NOT USE ACCURATE ENGINES FOR ANYTHING!!! They are the absolute worst!!!! I only used them because they came recommended to me. In order to resolve this issue, I had to get the Michigan BBB involved.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock