Turn Signal Issue by donuteater306
Started on: 02-24-2021 03:26 PM
Replies: 6 (316 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 02-25-2021 09:39 PM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys, what would cause this:

The green arrow for my right turn indicator was on solid today after I started my car. The turn signal stock was centered and when I checked outside, neither the front nor rear indicators were on. When I actually turned on the right indicator, the green arrow and front/rear amber lights flashed normally. I turned off the indicators and the green arrow remained on. The Green arrow turned off after driving a couple of blocks but then turned on again after about 80 miles of driving, then off a few minutes later.

All bulbs are incandescent, no LED's I removed and visually inspected the three bulbs (1 front, 2 rear) but since the turn signal switch was off, they shouldn't have had power to feed back

The flasher unit is electronic.

What are your thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the wiring diagram for 1984, my snap diagnosis is instrument cluster internal failure. As you can see from the attached diagram, the only way for that lamp to be illuminated would be a short to power on the dark blue wire, but that would also cause the front turn signal bulb to be illuminated.

[This message has been edited by Tony Santucci (edited 02-24-2021).]

Tony Santucci

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony SantucciSend a Private Message to Tony SantucciEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony Santucci

56 posts
Member since Feb 2021
Looking more closely, I suppose an issue with the right front park/turn lamp or socket could be to blame. Are those things in good shape?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1 or Both Turn Light in dash On w/o Turn Switch On...
Can be iffy front park/turn bulb or socket or ground wire to it.
See my Cave, Sneak Path

Note that this sneak path happens w/ Park Lights On. If They are "Off" as you look at HL switch then have other/more problems like short in dash wiring, iffy HL switch, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2021 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I truly appreciate the help. The scary part for me is the fact that it was on with the headlight switch off. I know there's nothing to those switches but simple contacts which leads me to think wiring. The car has over 270k miles on it so anything is possible.
eelecurb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2021 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eelecurbClick Here to visit eelecurb's HomePageSend a Private Message to eelecurbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$10 says you've got a short in the ground of your front turn signal socket (below the headlight). Had the same issue, drove me crazy until I figured it out. New socket is less than $10.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2021 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
haha, I hope you're right, but then I'd have to VENMO you $10 hahaha

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock