LQ1 custom length plug wires by Dave E Bouy
Started on: 02-22-2021 08:19 PM
Replies: 6 (291 views)
Last post by: pcar on 02-24-2021 08:22 PM
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all. I'm into the later stages of my LQ1/F23 into my 88 GT. I've mounted my ICM on the trunk side firewall and will need to make custom length plug wires. I've been trying to separate the plug boots from the wires of the stock set without any luck. If anyone can let me know if this can even be done and how I'd be grateful. If it can't be done I'm hoping someone can show where to buy new boots to make my own. Thanks as always.

DF
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just pull on the wire real hard. that being said you'll probably ruin the wire in progress. might be able to pick up a set of stock replacement wires from the parts house to destroy for the boots, and then use them on a universal set.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For this fancy twin cam stuff, I would probably buy some jobber wires (hopefully extra-long), and then cut to length and crimp on the universal HEI elbow ends. So I wouldn't touch the head/spark plug end at all if possible.

Supposing of course that the off-the-shelf wires are long enough to trim to the length for your application. Maybe with two sets you'll have enough long wires...
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

For this fancy twin cam stuff, I would probably buy some jobber wires (hopefully extra-long), and then cut to length and crimp on the universal HEI elbow ends. So I wouldn't touch the head/spark plug end at all if possible.

Supposing of course that the off-the-shelf wires are long enough to trim to the length for your application. Maybe with two sets you'll have enough long wires...

I was cooking dinner thinking that, came back and you beat me to it...

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took that approach with the EDIS system in my Falcon... I bought three sets of Taurus wires and used only the two longest wires from each pack. :|

It actually ended up being cheaper than any other custom options, and not by a small amount.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Something to go on. Thanks fellas. I did actually manage to get the old boots off but it wasn't easy.. I actually cut the wire at the top of the boot, pulled the plug terminal out with a pair of needle nose and drilled out what remained.
pcar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcarSend a Private Message to pcarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out Magnecore, they can make anything you need and their wire is the best. Priced accordingly though. They are the favorites of the air cooled Porsche crowd, those engines are hard on wires.
https://magnecorusa.com/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock