alternator replacement by 86fierorestoproject
Started on: 02-21-2021 11:46 PM
Replies: 18 (585 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 02-24-2021 01:12 AM
86fierorestoproject

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierorestoprojectSend a Private Message to 86fierorestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so a few days ago my fiero's alternator crapped out on me, so i bought a new one, and i have a good understanding on how to replace an alternator, but I just want to know if y'all have any tips/tricks to make replacing it less of a pain in the a$$.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fierorestoproject:

... just want to know if y'all have any tips/tricks to make replacing it less of a pain in the a$$.

It's a "pain in the a$$" when people don't describe their Fiero when asking a question. And yes, it makes a considerable difference with an alternator replacement.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ouch! Geez, Patrick, cut the newbie a bit of slack.

Patrick is right. It depends a lot on your car but if you search the archives or go to Ogre's Cave you should be able pick up all the data you need. There are a couple of step by steps around. Chances are you'll have to come in through the right rear wheel well after you pull the plastic inner liner. If you have a pre-'88 car, you may want to upgrade to a CS-130 alternator. It's well worth the effort. Fierosound has a good how-to in the FAQs and how-to section (https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000035.html).
------------------
Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 02-22-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is a stick or auto the replacement job for an alternator on the V6 engine will vary . The auto is more difficult as there is less room to work. If you have an auto the alternator can be taken out from the right wheelhouse as Mike has said but its a bit more involved than that. I've only done one but I recall having to remove both the alternator and the mounting bracket for enough clearance to get the alternator removed and installed. If you have a stick the process is much easier.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

86fierorestoproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierorestoprojectSend a Private Message to 86fierorestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I apologize for not putting enough info, I didn't know it varied that much for each fiero. It is an automatic (though i plan on swapping it because it used to be a 4 speed) and it is a notchback, and it's an 86. Thank you to Mike and Dennis for helping. will definitely be going through the right rear wheel well. I will post pictures of the car in future posts, so that way y'all can see the car. I'll try and fix her today, as I get my driver's license tomorrow. (i'm 16)
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I apologize for not putting enough info, I didn't know it varied that much for each fiero. It is an automatic (though i plan on swapping it because it used to be a 4 speed) and it is a notchback, and it's an 86. Thank you to Mike and Dennis for helping. will definitely be going through the right rear wheel well. I will post pictures of the car in future posts, so that way y'all can see the car. I'll try and fix her today, as I get my driver's license tomorrow. (i'm 16)

No apologies needed. People who are on this forum are here to help. That is part of the enjoyment of this hobby and the young guys like yourself are the future of it. Good luck with the car, It is 34 years old will require some TLC . I'm sure that you will have fun with it while asking more questions.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's a V6 right?

Like Dennis said, it is helpful to remove the bracket and get it out of there and out of the way.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

It's a V6 right?

It's like pulling teeth!

Interesting how everyone has assumed that this car has a 2.8... and not a 2.5... or possibly even a swap.

86fierorestoproject... in the future please mention the year, engine and transmission that your Fiero has when asking a question, because no, we're not all going to remember.
86fierorestoproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierorestoprojectSend a Private Message to 86fierorestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, it is the 2.8 V6, and we got it out, but boy was it a pain. we are gonna put the new one in wednesday as i am gonna get a new belt tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the tips!
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have time....check into the dodge runner belt tensioner / belt conversion. Solves adjustment issues, squealing etc. A second alternative for squealing and it does help with adjustment is the Rodney Dickman idler pulley.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to help. Us boyz from NC gotta help each other out. I had an "86 SE 2M6 notchback and changing the alternator on it was a b@#$h. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the alternators on the GTs will last a long time before I have to change them or rebuild them.

Did you use the CS130 conversion? I believe it's a bit smaller and will give a little more room when reinstalling. The idle pulley conversion sound like a winner, too.
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2021 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, CS130 is the way to go.
Here’s a helpful hint about the alternator bracket.
Yes, you have to remove it but just to be clear, when you re-install, you put the alternator in first, rest it on top of the cradle, then install the bracket with the bolts hand tight, then install the top alternator long bolt, then the bottom alternator bolt and then the serpentine belt and then snug everything down. And yes, mine is an auto V6 too.
I’ve done this job a good 3-4 times now.
Oh and don’t leave out the heat shield or your alternator will live a short life.
Kit
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

Yes, CS130 is the way to go... Oh and don’t leave out the heat shield or your alternator will live a short life.

As you're no doubt aware, the heat shield for an SI alternator does not (properly) fit a CS unit. I'm curious what is then used as a heat shield when the original SI is replaced by the newer style CS on a 2.8 Fiero?

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

As you're no doubt aware, the heat shield for an SI alternator does not (properly) fit a CS unit. I'm curious what is then used as a heat shield when the original SI is replaced by the newer style CS on a 2.8 Fiero?

I think there is room in the marketplace for a manufacturer (Rodney perhaps?) to make an '88-style heat shield (for those who don't know, the '88 heat shield is a stamped piece of metal that bolts to one of the exhaust manifold bolts if I remember right). I've even seen a lot of '88 Fieros where the heat shield was missing or bent/damaged, so I think the demand is there.

86fierorestoproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierorestoprojectSend a Private Message to 86fierorestoprojectEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

I had an "86 SE 2M6 notchback and changing the alternator on it was a b@#$h. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the alternators on the GTs will last a long time before I have to change them or rebuild them.

Did you use the CS130 conversion? I believe it's a bit smaller and will give a little more room when reinstalling. The idle pulley conversion sound like a winner, too.

I have the same model of Fiero, 86, SE, black, automatic, notchback. Also, no I didn't convert it. we are gonna install the replacement alternator on tomorrow as i need the car to drive to school thursday. (tight schedule, i know) i am going to do the idler pulley convert as the belt squeal is ANNOYING. also, did i do the quote correctly? im new and therefore don't know how to use things on here. the GT alternator might last longer. depends on when it was last replaced. I wish you luck with your GT journey!

Thanks for all the help!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

I think there is room in the marketplace for a manufacturer (Rodney perhaps?) to make an '88-style heat shield (for those who don't know, the '88 heat shield is a stamped piece of metal that bolts to one of the exhaust manifold bolts if I remember right). I've even seen a lot of '88 Fieros where the heat shield was missing or bent/damaged, so I think the demand is there.

It's held in place in three locations... but yes, I agree. I'm surprised that someone hasn't offered to supply these shields, especially seeing that it's very common for the superior CS alternators to now be replacing the older style SI alternators on the '85-'87 2.8 Fieros.

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

The '88 (CS) alternator heat shield is pretty simple. I think it would be easy enough to make an effective heat shield with some constructive cutting/shaping of a small sheet of aluminum.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently CS alternators aren't very DIY-rebuildable, so I was scared away from them.

I rebuilt my SI alternator, and it was easy to do with basic tools. No regrets with staying on this architecture.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Apparently CS alternators aren't very DIY-rebuildable, so I was scared away from them.

Good point... for anyone who wishes to repair rather than to replace their failed alternator. I posted the following last year.

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

The problem with these CS alternators is, although they're more efficient than SI alternators, they're not serviceable like the SI alternators are. Instead of paying five bucks to easily replace something like a diode trio, I'll probably have to replace the entire alternator. That kind of sucks.

However, in that same thread, I went on to describe (starting from Here) how I was able to repair my '88 Formula's CS alternator by using parts swapped over from a CS alternator salvaged from my scrapped '87 duke.

IMO, replacing an SI alternator with a newer CS unit is definitely worthwhile for anyone who does a lot of stop and go city driving. Reason being that the CS alternator is much more efficient than the SI unit at low RPMs.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-23-2021).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made my own heat shield using a Fiero V6 spare ignition coil heat shield.
Will try to take a pic of it when I can.
It’s either that, an 88 only heat shield or header wrap. Don’t run without one. The heat generated by the exhaust is too much not to run one,
Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock