85 cradle perch question by marc-alan
Started on: 02-20-2021 04:02 PM
Replies: 8 (238 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 03-14-2021 09:28 AM
marc-alan

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have dropped the cradle
As we inspected the cradle we found that the rear perches appear to have rusted and swollen up.

What is the best way to repair these perches?

Marc-Alan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may be able to fix that by welding a new metal ring on that- but it would be better to just replace the cradle. I checked and there is an 84 Fiero in the Pittsburgh U-Pull & pay....Check on Row 52 for junkyard Fiero availability.....The 84 cradle may need to be modified slightly (I believe the only difference is the tie rod mounting- not sure how different it is)

There is an 85 Fiero in Cincinnati....longer drive- I would check with the yard to see the condition it is in....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 02-20-2021).]

marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I cut these off and weld a new ring, do I make the 2 new rings parallel to the bottom of the frame?

Does anyone know if there is a drawing anywhere of the cradle that I can get dimensions from?
Ge-ero1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ge-ero1Send a Private Message to Ge-ero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not sure if this helps

[This message has been edited by Ge-ero1 (edited 02-20-2021).]

marc-alan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting that picture with the level. I just checked mine and its level across. I wonder if what I thought was rust swelling was actually a "factory" fix to get the tops level.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is rust swelling.

Cut off the ring, dress the cradle top to remove the rust, paint and weld a new ring in place.
bmyers

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2021 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmyersSend a Private Message to bmyersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious; does anyone know how common this problem is? I am about to drop the cradle on an '86 and would hate to see this as I don't weld. Guess I could learn. lol. But where would the replacement rings come from?

------------------
--
Brian

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2021 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You would have to make them yourself - cut the rings out of some steel of the proper thickness.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2021 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by marc-alan:
Does anyone know if there is a drawing anywhere of the cradle that I can get dimensions from?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock