Did I install my Sway bar backwards? by Oregon88
Started on: 02-18-2021 11:08 PM
Replies: 15 (644 views)
Last post by: Oregon88 on 02-20-2021 04:50 PM
Oregon88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all

I need some help. I have an 88 GT.

Did my clutch recently, sway bar end-links were back ordered, just got them, and I am finally getting to replacing them and I ran into some trouble.

the gap there on the bottom just doesn't look right. I had to use a jack to compress the bushings to even get the nut threaded on.

My old ones went on easy because they were shot. These are the Fiero Store bushings, which are 1/2" longer.

all this has me wondering, did I put my sway bar in backwards? It looks correct to me. See how it is shaped around the muffler? I do have a new exhaust system though and it could be slightly different from stock.

Here's a picture from above.

can anyone just look in the back of their 88GT and confirm that mine is correctly installed or not? I've checked all the manuals i have and scoured the internet for a picture like the one i took from above and am not having a lot of luck.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the spacer is longer on the new ones pressing the bar lower... possibly causing this alignment issue.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 02-18-2021).]

Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even with the stock ones it still doesn't look right.

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill look tomorrow i have a cradle with the bar bolted on. Also i think it would be upside down not backwards. But i think this looks right. Maybe try the old spacer with new bolt and polly get it torqued and see how it looks.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oregon88:

Even with the stock ones it still doesn't look right.

It does look rather weird. I don't recall the sway bar ends looking quite that "twisted" on my Formula.

Is this image of any help? (Open image in new tab for full size.) Does the bow in the sway bar around the muffler have the same orientation as yours?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-19-2021).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take a look at this. It may be of help to you. My writeup on a rear sway bar install.

http://www.gafiero.org/bbs/...70.msg21438#msg21438
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you have the bar oriented correctly. But it also looks like the suspension is at full droop, plus the new endlinks are too long. Both of those things combined will angle the bar quite a bit.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Take a look at this. It may be of help to you. My writeup on a rear sway bar install.

Rear Sway Bar Performance Upgrade

Charlie, you did a nice job installing a rear sway bar on your '86... but the OP is asking about his '88. Totally different kettle of fish.
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I meant upside down.

I’ll put load down on the suspension and see if it straightens out.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Patrick. Obviously, I didn't catch that in his first post.

It does look like his swaybar is mounted upside down, though. The end paddles should be flat to the suspension and the only way to verify that is that the suspension be loaded as Blacktree points out.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe you have it upside down. The mounts should be bending towards the ground. I just went through this myself with my 88 cradle build. Additionally some zero-lash endlinks from Rodeny will improve that setup as well.

Duh, your s is bending towards the ground....

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 02-20-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

I believe you have it upside down. The mounts should be bending towards the ground. I just went through this myself with my 88 cradle build. Additionally some zero-lash endlinks from Rodeny will improve that setup as well.

They look like they are bending towards the ground to me
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well boys I decided to swap in the old spacers because they fit easier, were stock, and appeared to be fine. I realized I had the bushings on upside down, so the flat side was facing the sway bar and not the rounded side.

It probably doesn't matter. I won't be on any autocross courses anytime soon.

Here are some photos of uncompressed vs compressed suspension.

She'll run just fine. I've got other things to worry about.

Thanks for the help boys
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your sway bar is installed properly. The notch in the bar is to clear the rear transmission mount which yours does.

You can always cut down the center sleeve to level the ends out at ride height. You might need to get a shorter bolt depending on how much shorter you make it.
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you got it sorted out. Just to confirm, looks about the same as mine on my Formula. I put my bolts in upside down because these (slightly) adjustable links had longer bolts, and there appeared to be more clearance that way. I should have probably cut them down, but didn't think of that at the time.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2021 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!

Thanks for the tips

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock