handling 1984 328 GTS Conversion by Fauxarri
Started on: 02-14-2021 11:36 AM
Replies: 5 (192 views)
Last post by: msweldon on 02-16-2021 02:48 PM
Fauxarri

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FauxarriSend a Private Message to FauxarriEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello again....could some one just list the parts I should replace and what they should be replaced with to get the BEST handling out of my v8 GTS conversion....thank you for helping me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start with an alignment check and take a good look at the shocks/struts as well as the tires. If you do not have a rear stabilizer bar, consider adding one. Go to individual component upgrades as necessary from that point.

Nelson
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm assuming the car does or probably will have eventually rear coilovers. Depending on what V8 conversion your car has, you may consider a higher spring rate to compensate for an heavier engine.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2021 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fauxarri:

Hello again....could some one just list the parts I should replace and what they should be replaced with to get the BEST handling out of my v8 GTS conversion....thank you for helping me.

If you want people to help you, you gotta put skin in the game yourself.

There's hours worth of both reading and writing about how to get a Fiero to handle.

Why should someone take the time to re-type what's already been typed dozens of times, but you haven't spent any time looking for?
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2021 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a number of things to do to help the handling; Alignment can make a big difference- Get as much POSITIVE Caster as possible, then get some new (After-market) upper ball joints that allow Negative camber (Wheels in at the top).

Most of us like big dang wheels and tires on our cars- but resist the temptation to go too far in that direction because heavy wheels and tires KILL the feel of the car (And performance) Look at a C7 Grand Sport Corvette- It has 285 mm wide tires up front and 335 in the rear, but the car weighs approx' 3500 lbs. A Fiero weighs around 2700 lbs so that gives a ratio of 1.3 to 1....So the 285s become 220 and the 335s become 255......I actually went with some 16 x7 wheels that are very light (14 lbs) and some General G-Max All-season tires sizes 205/55 and 225/55....The Generals have the added benefit of being somewhat lighter than other tires (Especially BFGs)

I have also switched the rear subframe/suspension to 88 on my '85 SE V6 which really makes the car drive/ride/handle better.

And finally, I came up with a way of mounting the stabilizer bars which makes them vary their strength during acceleration and braking, helping both turn-in and drop-throttle over-steer....Here is a link to my thread on this idea; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140674.html
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2021 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

If you want people to help you, you gotta put skin in the game yourself.

There's hours worth of both reading and writing about how to get a Fiero to handle.

Why should someone take the time to re-type what's already been typed dozens of times, but you haven't spent any time looking for?

On top of that, there's a vast disparity of opinion as to 'what' a good handling car is.... so first ask yourself, 'what' do you want the car to 'handle well' and start from there....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock