Thermostat housing gasket failure - 3rd time by 842m4SE
Started on: 02-10-2021 07:06 PM
Replies: 7 (674 views)
Last post by: AsaBergman on 02-19-2021 11:05 PM
842m4SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 1984 Fiero since the first gasket failed after running, I have tried twice to put in a new thermostat housing gasket. The first time, I used grey gasket maker for thermostat housings and thread sealant for the bolts, and it leaked. And now today I put another new gasket on without sealant by recommendations on another group, and the damn thing is dripping coolant again. I cleaned both mating surfaces throughly with sandpaper and cleaned them after with a paper towel.. Is there a guaranteed method to get this to work?

This is what the newest leak looks like, both times it was from the bottom. The first replacement worked before I ran it, then it leaked, but this one just leaves right off the bat. I torqued the bolts to 22 ft/lbs spec and used the right gasket for my duke. Any help?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There must be a bit of unevenness somewhere.

Probably the best bet is to paint the gasket with Permatex's product.
This stuff usually works so well, you have to scrape both surfaces clean if you can get them apart.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-10-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The "gen1" T-stat housing is Weak and once the flange is damage won't seal or leak soon after.

Pull off and look a flatness of the flange. Use anything flat, light one side and look thru light at other side.

ReRead your first //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/144700.html and search PN for "gen2" w/ better flange in //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/144348.html

If you keep damage "gen1" part.
Carefully Flatten the Flange.
Then use longer bolts and make spreaders to load the housing better then old holes.
Some flat iron w/ 1 hole spanning the whole piece maybe including bent edges might make it work.

Use a New gasket and use High Tack or Super 300 and paint both sides.
Sealers won't work w/ any wet gasket. Most times No even if dried out.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

There must be a bit of unevenness somewhere.

Probably the best bet is to paint the gasket with Permatex's product.

Agreed, although I favor a slightly different product from the same family... Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket. I've been using this stuff for almost half a century!

Make sure the ends of the thermostat housing flange (where the bolts go through) have not been bent "down" from tightening the bolts.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sadly Above isn't available in many places. Supper 300 is close to same and an "off the self" right now at more stores.
I've used both and works same.

Both are better w/ iffy surface(s) that need a little to fill small divots and scratches.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2021 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd echo everything Ogre said... the same problem affects Ford 2.3l motors, and those are the solutions. No amount of sealant will fix a warped housing forever. If replacing it isn't an option you need a big sanding block to get it pretty flat and then load spreaders to keep it tight.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2021 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm in Patricks corner. Aviation form-a-gasket will do the trick. On the other hand there is a product called "Indian-Head" gasket sealer. comes in a brown bottle. Be sure to use a new thermostat because the odds of getting this apart in the future is slim. Guaranteed not to leak even if you forgot to insert the gasket!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

AsaBergman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had this issue on the 84. Previous owner overtightened and bent the flange. I used gasket "Felpro 35562 T". It is a hard plastic gasket with a rubber o ring. Install dry, no sealant. The bolt holes have to be elongated with a file to fit. Never leaked a drop after two years and multiple removals. No overheating issues. If the flange on the housing is corroded you must clean it good.

This is the exact item I used: https://www.amazon.com/Fel-...asket/dp/B000C2E4GM/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock