88 Radio - pontiac upgrade by swing69
Started on: 02-08-2021 05:16 PM
Replies: 5 (279 views)
Last post by: BillS on 02-09-2021 12:58 PM
swing69

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swing69Send a Private Message to swing69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My stock UX1 radio in the 88 is low volume on the Right front and rear speakers. I replaced all the speakers....its the same deal.
I contacted replacmentradios.com to get a Pontiac radio....close enough. I wanted red lights and close to stock look. (of course, I'm keeping the stock).

SO I plugged in the adapter harness to the radio....and the radio only lit up, no cassette drive, no sound on radio. In fact, power button did nothing. Now the radio was fully checked on 1/13/21 just before it was shipped to me. so..I assume the radio is good. the adapter? 3 polarized connectors...how could they be wrong???

Anyway. I was asked if the car was "Performance Sound".....I didn't see anything anywhere that says "performance sound". I don't see that term even on the fender option codes, or the window sticker that I have. No sub either. The tech said "sounds like a performance sound radio. I said I didn't think so.

Is an 88 that different in wiring to the 84-87? I did notice on videos that on earlier years, the fiero side had 3 separate connectors stacked (black, white, blue)....and my 88 only has 1 tall molded connector.

Basically....I don't know whats going on, its a good radio that doesn;'t work as wired with the adapter. anyone run into this radio issue with another GM replacement?
Obviously, some sort of power delivery thing.

any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!
Mike
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at the overhead console. Is there a slider on it for base boost? It's located between the light switches. If you have this you have Performance Sound and it works through an amplifier.

Out of curiosity, what replacement radio did you get? I've purchased two from replacement radios and got the Radios out of the early '90s grand prix. Direct drop in with the CD player. The adapter that came with the radio was pre-wired and the radio worked fine. I will note that I did order one once and I had problems with it but after sorting the wiring it worked.

BTW, I think there are two there are two power leads on the radio. IRRC, one feeds the clock and lights and stays hot all the time and the other feed the radio itself. Perhaps some other PFF member can shed some more light on this.

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by swing69:

My stock UX1 radio in the 88 is low volume on the Right front and rear speakers. I replaced all the speakers....its the same deal.
I contacted replacmentradios.com to get a Pontiac radio....close enough. I wanted red lights and close to stock look. (of course, I'm keeping the stock).

SO I plugged in the adapter harness to the radio....and the radio only lit up, no cassette drive, no sound on radio. In fact, power button did nothing. Now the radio was fully checked on 1/13/21 just before it was shipped to me. so..I assume the radio is good. the adapter? 3 polarized connectors...how could they be wrong???

Anyway. I was asked if the car was "Performance Sound".....I didn't see anything anywhere that says "performance sound". I don't see that term even on the fender option codes, or the window sticker that I have. No sub either. The tech said "sounds like a performance sound radio. I said I didn't think so.

Is an 88 that different in wiring to the 84-87? I did notice on videos that on earlier years, the fiero side had 3 separate connectors stacked (black, white, blue)....and my 88 only has 1 tall molded connector.

Basically....I don't know whats going on, its a good radio that doesn;'t work as wired with the adapter. anyone run into this radio issue with another GM replacement?
Obviously, some sort of power delivery thing.

any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!
Mike

If you do not have the subwoofer under the passenger side dash or the bass slider on the overhead lights, you do not have the Performance Sound System.

I have an 86GT and I am 99% sure that the wiring remains the same for all years, even if the connectors are different. I've spent a lot of time dealing with GM radios from this time period (other Pontiacs, Buicks, Chevys, Olds) and some radios have three or four separate plugs and others have one large plug, but they are molded a certain way so they can be installed only one way correctly.

I can pull out my radio wiring diagram for you tomorrow evening if I can find it.
swing69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swing69Send a Private Message to swing69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have it sorted out. Seems the latest batch of harness adapters has a mis-wire. 2 wires are swapped at the modern small pin connector at the radio.
I swapped them.....and it works as it should now!

Question: The newer replacement pontiac radio is about 1/2 deeper than the OEM radio. It hits the metal "triangle" post receiver at the back of the opening. i don't want to cut it out, but the it has rolled edges and I can't bent it back, without nearly cracking the bottom section. Its riveted in with 2 rivets, but the are pretty inaccessible .

What did you guys do about the "triangle" tab?
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by swing69:

I have it sorted out. Seems the latest batch of harness adapters has a mis-wire. 2 wires are swapped at the modern small pin connector at the radio.
I swapped them.....and it works as it should now!

Question: The newer replacement pontiac radio is about 1/2 deeper than the OEM radio. It hits the metal "triangle" post receiver at the back of the opening. i don't want to cut it out, but the it has rolled edges and I can't bent it back, without nearly cracking the bottom section. Its riveted in with 2 rivets, but the are pretty inaccessible .

What did you guys do about the "triangle" tab?

I was doing some stereo work on my car last summer adding bluetooth and I had to install some parts for my upgraded subwoofer and I still was able to make everything fit with that triangle tab back there. All I did was use some washers on the two mounting screws to shim the radio forward towards the shift lever. I think I used four on each side.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The update I did on my 88 was to fit an early 90s Delco CD player out of a Firebird. Identical look and thus not attractive to radio thieves, and was a decent CD player. You'd have to have sharp eyes indeed to tell it wasn't original.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock