A-Pillar Trim Plastic Slidng Tab (Not clip) Repair by reinhart
Started on: 02-08-2021 04:02 PM
Replies: 5 (211 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 02-23-2021 07:23 AM
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In searching the archives, I couldn't find anything about repairing the thin plastic flaps that slide into the roof. There are a few on repairing the plastic clips but nothing on repairing the slide tabs. Anyone successfully repair these? I had both break off one of my pillars upon removal.

I had an idea of getting a very thin piece of metal, bending it with a 120degree angle and then using bumper repair compound or similar to bond one side of the bend to the A-trim and the other side would be able to slide into the grooves in the roof. Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 02-08-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're talking about the flaps that are molded into the trim, right, I think there's one about eye level and then another above your head?

Bonding metal to plastic can be hairy. Were it me, I'd get some thin styrene sheet from the hobby store; they sell it for models, Evergreen being a popular brand name. Worst case you can get it from https://evergreenscalemodels.com/

You might have to double it up to fit into the slot in the roofline, as they come in like .010", .020", pretty thin. Anyway, bend that into the L shape to fit into the roof, then glue to the pillar. I think epoxy or a plastic welder. I'm partial to this stuff

https://www.tapplastics.com/weld_on_16_cement

(that's my local dealer, I imagine if you have a local plastic place they'd have it or something akin to it.) I find it melts into most plastic and bonds them pretty well.

-- A
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I repaired 2 of those tabs on my A pillar trim with ABS plumbing cement. I have removed them both since repairing them and the repairs have held. The motorcycle guys use ABS cement on their plastic with great success.

https://www.silverwing600.c...51-repairing-fairing
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And to throw one more option at you...I used Plastic Welder epoxy that I picked up at Home Depot.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had already cut some thin pieces of metal before I saw the replies, so figured I'd give it a shot. I ended up using epoxy to bond them to the trim. They seem super strong but I haven't installed yet as I'm working on the headliner.

If they break off and it turns out the metal to plastic bond isn't a good fix, I'll use one of the ideas from this thread next. Thanks for the ideas!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2021 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have melted the pieces together with a butane soldering torch and had good results.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock