Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Poly suspension bushings - (15 years of use review)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Poly suspension bushings - (15 years of use review) by DimeMachine
Started on: 02-06-2021 03:41 PM
Replies: 16 (403 views)
Last post by: La fiera on 02-19-2021 06:24 PM
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After having Poly bushings in my A-arms for 15 years, I have some opinions that you might find helpful if you are considering swapping from rubber to polyurethane.

Short answer:
*Use them for lower rear A-arms for sure if you have a lot more power than stock.
*Use them for all A-arms if you do serious autocross and/or road racing.
*Skip them if squeaks make you want to sell your fiero
*Skip them if you just cruise in your Fiero.

Long answer:

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 02-06-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 281
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think all 84-87 could benefit tightening up the rear tracking/handling with poly bushings for engine cradle and rear A-arm.
I never had any problems with squeaking poly bushing on rear a-arm if using proper grease.

I did use poly bushings for front anti-sway bar and poly end links to firm up cornering.
But stayed with rubber bushings in front upper/lower A-arms on both my cars, so ride is not harsh.

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-06-2021).]

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I think all 84-87 could benefit tightening up the rear tracking/handling with poly bushings for engine cradle and rear A-arm.
I never had any problems with squeaking poly bushing on rear a-arm if using proper grease.

I did use poly bushings for front anti-sway bar and poly end links to firm up cornering.
But stayed with rubber bushings in front upper/lower A-arms on both my cars, so ride is not harsh.

That is awesome.
Curious, specifically what brand of poly grease did you use and how long has it been since the install?

Cheers!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 452
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have poly most everywhere in both of my cars (both 88s) except for trailing links in the most recent. (My sway bar-to-frame bushings are all still rubber, since it seemed to be in good shape.)
I have never experienced squeaking. Period. But then, I went nuts with the silicone grease. The same grease that comes with the bushings, except I ordered a couple of extra vials. I didn't really try to lube the bushings where they pressed into the inner sleeve (although I wasn't particularly careful not to) but I did lube the center sleeve, liberally, as well as both ends of the bushing where it squeezed into the frame brackets.

The ride? It's still better than it was with the rubber bushings and the worn out stock shocks and struts. Even with 17" wheels.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-06-2021).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 281
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

Curious, specifically what brand of poly grease did you use and how long has it been since the install?

Originally posted by Raydar:

I have never experienced squeaking. Period. But then, I went nuts with the silicone grease.
The same grease that comes with the bushings, except I ordered a couple of extra vials.
I didn't really try to lube the bushings where they pressed into the inner sleeve
(although I wasn't particularly careful not to) but I did lube the center sleeve, liberally,
as well as both ends of the bushing where it squeezed into the frame brackets.

I used silicone grease too - most likely Prothane's, the maker of the poly bushings.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-19-1750

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-07-2021).]

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think im noticing a squeak but its probably because im due to re-grease. While you almost never have to replace the bushings again if you go poly (vs rubber) it doesn't mean you never have to service them.

Im poly everywhere on my daily and its great. The current squeak is solved by just turning on the radio. (Not really solved like i said should regrease) incidentally i need to re, re, re do that front passenger bearing where the squeaky is coming from so probably just investigate then.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 320
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaClick Here to Email WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used the thread tape method on the sleeve and good amount of silicone grease.
gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

Short answer:
*Use them for lower rear A-arms for sure if you have a lot more power than stock.

Define "a lot more power". Would a F-body stock 3.4 swap qualify?

[This message has been edited by gjgpff (edited 02-10-2021).]

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2021 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gjgpff:

Define "a lot more power". Would a F-body stock 3.4 swap qualify?

Unless you are a serious road course guy, going to a 3.4, I would go with rubber and avoid the maintenance and squeaks. Just my opinion.
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeClick Here to Email FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes "a lot more power" is at least double the stock HP, starting to get towards 300+HP.
The stock rubber bushes give the nicer ride quality but will be severely pushed when cornering hard with semi slick tyres and more power!

For the squeaking problem, I'm like Raydar and use copious amounts of silicon grease. So no squeaks!

To Dime Machine / Toys 4 Life:
I enjoy your videos. Thanks.

PS: Just noticed that your rear A arms don't have the little poly cup that stops the arm from sliding fowards or backwards on the outside of the bushes?
You don't get any movement front/rear?

Regards,
Rafe

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!
https://www.youtube.com/cha...1wZvWQlkYxTjivW_0XNg

[This message has been edited by Frenchrafe (edited 02-11-2021).]

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frenchrafe:

Yes "a lot more power" is at least double the stock HP, starting to get towards 300+HP.
The stock rubber bushes give the nicer ride quality but will be severely pushed when cornering hard with semi slick tyres and more power!

For the squeaking problem, I'm like Raydar and use copious amounts of silicon grease. So no squeaks!

To Dime Machine / Toys 4 Life:
I enjoy your videos. Thanks.

PS: Just noticed that your rear A arms don't have the little poly cup that stops the arm from sliding forwards or backwards on the outside of the bushes?
You don't get any movement front/rear?

Regards,
Rafe

1. I use as much lube as will stay in there when you push the sleeve into the bushing. It is a very snug fit so after only so much, any extra lube is just going to get scraped away and not fit inside the bushing/sleeve fit. Mine are quiet - for about 1.5 - 2 years- then they start being obnoxious.

2. Thanks for the compliment - much appreciated.

3. The poly cup you are referring to - I did not get them with my kit - which irritates me. That having been said, they have not moved. I do recall (now that you mention it) being concerned about that possibility when I first installed them LONG ago - but so far no movement... I should have mentioned that in the Video...

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 02-11-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a guy who figured out how to modify his suspension to make it easy to grease his poly bushings. Obviously there is always going to be some level of concern with structural integrity, but when we think about all the other things we cut up, drill into, etc on our cars... an interesting idea!

https://rallyways.com/6316/...-miata-installation/

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2021 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

Here is a guy who figured out how to modify his suspension to make it easy to grease his poly bushings. Obviously there is always going to be some level of concern with structural integrity, but when we think about all the other things we cut up, drill into, etc on our cars... an interesting idea!

https://rallyways.com/6316/...-miata-installation/

Thanks for sharing!
I wouldn't worry about it failing in any catastrophic way.
Would be interesting to see how it worked out for him after a few years.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2021 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartClick Here to Email reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had poly about 15-20 years in my 88 GT's Neither squeek in the rear, one squeeks in the front only when going over a parking lot speed bump. It's probably the control arms. Doesn't happen enough to bother me. I've never relubed.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

I've had poly about 15-20 years in my 88 GT's Neither squeek in the rear, one squeeks in the front only when going over a parking lot speed bump. It's probably the control arms. Doesn't happen enough to bother me. I've never relubed.

hmmmmm.. One explanation is I have noticed they tend to squeak more in temps below 60F... 60f and below is much easier to come by her in MN.....

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2021 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleClick Here to Email pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe actually your recommendation is backwards...

Perhaps poly is good for low-torque engines, and no good for high-torque engines.

With a high-torque setup, I can imagine greater loads on the bushing which would squeeze out the lubricant more quickly than with a stock engine.

With a stock 2.8, I had no A-arm squeaks for 7 years of service. Sway bar bushings needed re-lubing once or twice though during that time.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2021 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was my first upgrade when I bought my Fiero 15 years ago. With my exhaust, I can't hear them squeak!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock