My '88 Stock Engine issues by Fiero Vice
Started on: 02-05-2021 02:13 PM
Replies: 10 (283 views)
Last post by: skywurz on 02-06-2021 09:38 PM
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2021 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I have '88 GT 5 speed with 53K miles.

I have many things that I would like to solve with my stock engine, but need your feedback on priorities.

I suspected I might have leaky valve seals when the car starts up with a lot of smoke.

I would like to take care of that along with water pump, replace headers, intake & manifold gaskets, vacuum lines, Rodney's Ultimate Getrag Shift Kit, replace some sensors, and maybe exhaust system.

I'm debating if I should take the engine out or not.

I will consider switching over to 3.4 pushrod, only if my stock engine goes bad, but afraid it will hurt the value of my car.

Since my engine has low miles, I think I should stay with my stock engine and update & upgrade whatever is needed.

What about crankshaft? Should I upgrade it to 3.1 crankshaft?

Should I go for rebuild while I'm at it? At this point, I don't think it's needed.

So, I'm a bit confused about where to go at this point. I don't want to have to take out engine again & again if something else pop up.

I'd appreciate your opinions. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What color is the smoke on startup? Does it smell sweet?
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2021 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

White smoke & lots of it. No, it doesn't smell sweet at all. Just pollution & maybe fuel.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it was me I would keep the low-mile stock engine and just work down a list of repairs.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vice:

White smoke & lots of it. No, it doesn't smell sweet at all. Just pollution & maybe fuel.

White smoke is water/condensation.
Blue smoke is oil.
Black smoke is (excess) fuel.

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will agree with above. Its probably condensation. Id just working down the list of repairs.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2021 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for your opinions.

So, it can be done replacing headers inside the engine bay?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
White "smoke" just after starting and a bit after maybe condensation. That will quickly stop.

White "smoke" w/ engine at operating is likely Coolant problems.
Intake and/or caskets to crack head etc can make engine to "burn" coolant.
Head issues can "fake" boil over too because cyl have way higher pressure.
Intake has coolant in them and caskets can fail. If morons replace coolant senders/sensors then may have crack the intake when they over torque the part.

⚠️ Warning: Do Not breath white "smoke" or coolant steam anytime!
Ethelyn Glycol can kill you and "smelling Sweet" may not be there to warn you as other fumes can mask that.

Fiero has SS exhaust and replacing it won't help you. Low mile engine is unlikely to have Cat problems unless has "burning" coolant problems.

if let parked for mounts to years, Water Pump can go iffy/bad just for that.
Coolant goes "bad" even w/o engine running and won't protect for "rust."
Even w/o that, parked WP can get rust on shaft and eat the seal when running after. WP Seal isn't 100% "water proof" and tiny bit of "leaking" coolant lubes and anti rust the shaft.
(Other seals to same for axles, crack, and brakes.)
If replacing WP then Flush coolant too.
See my Cave, Coolant Fill

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2021 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you, Theogre, for your advice.
oneinch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll give you my 2¢ and it probably isn't worth half that. Do what you want to your car. These things are collector cars only in the minds of the owners. There is no value to retain. Consider any money spent as just that: spent. These cars are not investments. While the '88s may be the best of the bunch, they're also a pain to get some parts for. One example are rear calipers. They're made of unobtanium. Pontiac may have made 400,000 or so Fieros, they only made around 30,000 '88s. '84-'87 have a better parts availability. If you'll be doing a lot of engine work, here's a few reasons to pull the engine. Great access to everything. Murphy's Law says you'll break or strip a bolt or two. Do a motor refresh. Do everything that needs to be done plus preventive maintenance; like maybe the timing chain, etc. Take advantage of the engine being on a stand and hopefully you'll be rewarded with just having to do oil changes for years to come.

Oh, if you want something fast and older, get a first gen F-body. They're faster. There are brand new parts galore and will be for generations. They are super simple to work on. My Fiero's big brother is the '68 Firebird sitting next to it.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

[This message has been edited by oneinch (edited 02-06-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2021 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oneinch:

I'll give you my 2¢ and it probably isn't worth half that.

You are absolutely right. I agree with the first half but the second half i will argue if it ain't broke don't fix it . Imho Drive your car and enjoy it. If the engine dies or is on the way out/giving you reliability issues later down the road then get in there and go crazy. If you want to tinker go pick up a engine to work on rebuilding so when the day comes you have something ready to drop in. Of course fix leaks now that's just basic maintenance.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock