F40 swapped 406 stroked L98 by Formula 406
Started on: 02-04-2021 12:39 AM
Replies: 17 (360 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 02-09-2021 05:06 AM
Formula 406

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I'm pretty sure I hyper extended my HTOB. I have read alot about spacers and not spacers since mine has gone I think I am going to start with some. How thick of a space should 1 go. I am going to take measurements once I have it apart. It's a TR Transmissions car made by Troy Ritchie. He mentored my technician apprenticeship. I wasn't there for the F40 upgrade so I have to bit learn about the quirks. Can't wait to have it's resurrection this spring.

[This message has been edited by Formula 406 (edited 02-04-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard!

Troy had built some very cool cars. So sad he's no longer with us.

Some of your F40 questions (I know nothing) may be answered here;
but you likely won't know what's gone wrong until you get it apart.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/094411.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-04-2021).]

Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool thanx. He was great guy and we had alot of fun. I'm really psyched to get this car out and blow the dust off it. It was a riot back when we we first got it going.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once you get the engine separated from the transmission measure the distance from the transmission side of the adapter plate to the pressure plate fingers.

HTOB fully extended: 2.675"
HTOB fully compressed with the bleeder screw opened: 3.582"

Your spacer (if needed) should put the distance of the pressure plate fingers from the adapter plate + spacer thickness = 3.22" to 3.356".

As the clutch wears, the pressure plate fingers will move closer to the transmission case. As you press the clutch pedal, the fingers will be pushed toward the engine. To avoid over extending the HTOB, you want about 25-33% of the available travel for wear, and 66% to 75% of available travel for clutch release w/o over extending.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 03-04-2021).]

Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that's awesome thanks a bunch. I had read about guys putting washer's on the master to prevent it from going full stroke but I was thinking a spacer under the slave itself would be a better way to go and that explanation has me sold on it for sure. I always called Troy Mcgyver and I see the clutch start switch has been disconnected so makes me wonder if he just knew never to floor the clutch and when I went to fire it I slammed it down and it never felt right again. It was locked in gear when I went to move it from where he drove it to and parked it but since I tried to start it can't get the clutch to engage at all. I'm guessing there is a pretty heavy twin clutch in this that would have taken up some of the typical gap guys are having. I know back when we were blowing up getrags we had to get a really serious light switch twin disc cuz a single wouldn't hold a trip across town without the lining just ripping off. Will be interesting to get it opened up. I have a really limited availability to get it on the hoist so trying to get my brain loaded with as much pre planning as possible.

[This message has been edited by Formula 406 (edited 02-04-2021).]

Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula 406

14 posts
Member since Oct 2020
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula 406:

Can't wait to have it's resurrection this spring.

Spider webs in engine bay....
This car has sat for some time. How long?

Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been 6-7 years as far as I know. Primed it up with some fresh fluids and fired up like it just ran yesterday. Call it the Evil Beast. Made 615whp on the chassis dyno back in the day.
Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula 406

14 posts
Member since Oct 2020
Something else I would like to figure out is how to get the F40 output speed sensor to work with stock cluster. If memory serves car side is 2000x and the newer F40 one is 4000x reluctor or something to that effect in amplification.?
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The F40 VSS reads off the ring gear (78 tooth) so the VSS pulses are arounf 60,000 per mile.

Not sure what ecm you are using for the engine. If it is the 7730, then you should have the VSS going to the ecm and using the ECM to drive the speedo. If this is how your car is setup, you can have the chip burned for the new VSS value.

You can also use a dakota digital vss signal converter (used to be about $75 10 years ago).
Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome 😎 thanx it's been a lot of help in a short time. Got the car towed to the shop today getting poised to open pandora's box on the weekend lmao. Have a new trans complete and ready to hang sitting on deck. What's in it for a clutch is the final burning question bahahaha.

------------------
"THE EVIL BEAST" '88 Formula, 406 L98 stroker with AFR heads, roller everything, TPI Lethal Injection 1000+ cfm intake, hand cut and built full mandrel 3in dual exhaust, big custom headers, F40 6spd, 4 piston calipers all around, adjustable coil overs, big Azenis rubber. Built by TR Transmissions.

PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula 406:

It's been 6-7 years as far as I know. Primed it up with some fresh fluids and fired up like it just ran yesterday. Call it the Evil Beast. Made 615whp on the chassis dyno back in the day.

I don't doubt it's a fast car, and there are 406's in the world that can do that... but I'm very skeptical of that number through 23 degree heads and the Super Ram (SuperRam? SupeRam?) intake pictured.

Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be skeptical all you want. The dyno sheets didn't lie. Not sure what your point is other than to try and tell me you don't think it makes that power. You don't know what part number the Air Flow Research heads are that cost more than most 300hp complete running engines or any specs on the particular parts that are in it. It's a 10.5/1 $25,000 6.8L small block. It's like having a Duramax in a shopping cart, down right vicious tiring shredding handful!!!! Soooo much fun
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

I don't doubt it's a fast car, and there are 406's in the world that can do that...

600hp crate engine (carb'd) on eBay if anyone wants one and fairly cheap too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40...0:g:MzEAAMXQNOZRBr7v

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-05-2021).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

600hp crate engine (carb'd) on eBay if anyone wants one and fairly cheap too.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40...0:g:MzEAAMXQNOZRBr7v

Did you actually read the listing? What kind of meth-lab crap is that?

Like I said, there are plenty of 406's that make 600 HP...
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the engine could have been helped along with a little NOS, but the location of that single nozzle isn't ideal (maybe there is another one we can't see).
Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2021 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya Troy put a little spray on everything. He was a nitrous addict. That's why I am just putting in a whole new trans if it's not broken it's tortured for sure. I took the spray out, it doesn't need any help. I couldn't careless what the actual hp is anymore. I just remember from when we tuned it way back when. It's crazy fun to drive white knuckle smiles no point in a stereo it plays its own music 😎😎😎

[This message has been edited by Formula 406 (edited 02-05-2021).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 05:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Did you actually read the listing? What kind of meth-lab crap is that?

Like I said, there are plenty of 406's that make 600 HP...

looking at the ad, it's unclear whether the advertised engine is a 383 or a 406, there's no information about the cylinder heads, which are insanely important on a 600 HP SBC.... And then there's this little laugh in the fine print...

some poor shmuck is gonna get robbed... Real talk, If that engine is even a 406 (I bet it's not even a 383) it probably makes less than 500 HP at the crank.

As far as the engine in the car, I've seen enough dynos in my days on TGO to know what a superram is capable of, I'll let you assume what the means for yourself.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock