Steering has play in it by JOHNSALAS
Started on: 02-02-2021 09:57 PM
Replies: 7 (186 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-04-2021 05:33 PM
JOHNSALAS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JOHNSALASSend a Private Message to JOHNSALASEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello guys, I'm a newbie to the forum. I just picked up a 85 GT 5sp.. there is alot of play in the steering, I can turn the steering wheel more then a 1/4 of the way around before the tires start to react, and thats both ways from dead center. What could it be? The tie rods are good I checked them.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome aboard!

84 - 87 steering racks are all the same (88 is similar)
You could try adjusting the preload on the rack bearing.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030819-2-036047.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-02-2021).]

JOHNSALAS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JOHNSALASSend a Private Message to JOHNSALASEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will try that! Thank you
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2021 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If once it starts moving, it's tight, then I would guess it is a worn section in the middle of the rack. The center of the rack gets beat up the most. If it's loose the entire time even after it starts moving, then it could be a number of things and the tightening suggestion above is a good place to start.

If it is tight once it starts moving and you tighten that adjuster, you'll then find that its fine when the wheel is straight but extremely hard to turn the wheel once you get past that worn section. You'd want a steering unit if that's the case.

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 02-03-2021).]

JOHNSALAS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2021 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JOHNSALASSend a Private Message to JOHNSALASEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes once the tires respond its feels normal.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2021 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you adjust anything...
See my Cave, Steering
to figure out what is the problem.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also check the steering column and intermediate shaft U-joints for looseness.
Stick a screwdriver through a U-joint and turn the steering wheel to see if there's any play.
One is under the dash, the other at the rack pinion shaft.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-04-2021).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

You could try adjusting the preload on the rack bearing.

I'll just mention this for anyone who's never previously done this adjustment... it's a lot easier to do with the spare tire "tub" temporarily removed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock