88 formula headlights by Formula 406
Started on: 02-02-2021 08:50 PM
Replies: 6 (343 views)
Last post by: theogre on 02-04-2021 04:49 PM
Formula 406

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys new here. I have an 88 Formula car has. 406 lethal injection TPI and an F40 6spd. It is missing headlights and hide away frames motor the whole but. it looks like the connectors are different than the older ones cuz I tried to swap quick from an 86 GT but it didn't work. Can anyone lead me in the right direction here or even hook a guy up with some assemblies? I inherited the car from a mentor, it hasn't been on the road in a bout 7 years. Got it running nice just need to get it legal to shred some tires when this snow melts.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need the second generation headlights which are on all '87 or '88 Fieros.

Welcome to the Forum!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-02-2021).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you may be in for a tough time. The headlight system for 1984 through 1986 Fieros is different to the headlight system for 1987 and 1988 cars. The "buckets" (the lift mechanism parts hold the motors is the same but the motors and control system is different. In 1987, Pontiac went to a solid state Gen 2 control system. To get a pre-'87 system to operate in a '88 vehicle would require you to replace the Gen 2 wiring harness and control module with a Gen 1 wiring harness, motors and relays. Lots of us with pre-'87 cars upgrade to the Gen 2 system because it is more reliable.

I've never heard of anyone going from a Gen 2 to Gen 1 headlight system but I suppose it could be possible. If you look in the archives or the FAQs and How-to section for Gen 1 to Gen 2 headlight swap you'll find the instructions. You could "reverse engineer" the swap to go from a Gen 2 to Gen 1 system if you really want to but my recommendation is DON'T DO IT unless you have no other choice.

Lift frames are pretty easy to find. You'll need a right and a left side. Just make sure you get the lift arms and crank assembly for each side. You can buy new Gen 2 motors from Rock Auto or others. These motors are used in several GM cars (1992-1994 Firebirds and Camaros for sure) and can still be found. All this assumes that you have a 1987 or later headlight harness and control module. If you don't have these, you'll need to find them. They are available but they are getting scarce so the cost is going up.

I suggest that you determine what you have and what you need. You can then go to The Mall pages on the Forum and see what's available or out a want to buy for the parts you need. You can also try Larry Hubert at hubbert2@brighthouse.com. He may have everything you need.

Good luck and welcome to the fold.
Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome thanks for the info. That was a lot of help.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's the normal 88 system, the motors will have two-wire connectors. There will be a control module in front of the left front wheel well, on the outside of the steel bulkhead, inside the fender. I'm hoping that you still have the original system otherwise intact.
You should also have the normal three-wire connectors for the lamps.
Formula 406

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula 406Send a Private Message to Formula 406Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya it looks all the stock harnesses are there and intact. So Im thinking it looks like I can just get my hands on some new motors and use all these other pieces I have and I will be golden.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2021 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HL Lift assem are Same for all years.
Gen2 is just motors and module.
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

check it have a module. If true get New motors from Cardone AZ and maybe others w/ a warranty or buy no-name for less $ from Eflay etc.
If module missing/bad get from corvette parts sites. I forget exact vendor but is a F' lot less $ then rip off TFS.

Missing motor bolts for Gen2 then make sure any replacement hardware doesn't hit/bind link between motor and HL.

⚠️ Warning: Do Not oil/grease any pivots w/ plastic bushing/bearings. If pivot come apart, spray metal only w/ "Dry" Teflon. Chemicals in them can attack plastic before dries.

Note: Some Years have motor links can taken apart and clean etc. //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/140693.html#p13

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-04-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock