C6 Corvette Calipers by str8maxn
Started on: 01-31-2021 05:17 PM
Replies: 6 (371 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 02-03-2021 06:52 PM
str8maxn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2021 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I just picked up a set of C6 front and rear calipers, pads, brackets, brake lines and rotors. I don't think I can use the rear brakes.

What is the recommended brackets for C6 front calipers?

[This message has been edited by str8maxn (edited 01-31-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What makes you think you can't use the rear ones?

Fieros actually like a "square" brake setup with the same rotors and calipers at all four corners.
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ready, fire, aim? ;P

Like Will said... the fiero is setup for a square brake setup.... You can run the rear brakes with drum in hat ebrake with a custom bracket plate setup and a 1/4" spacer between the outer cv joint shoulder and hub bearing and remove the stock mounting caliper ears. I have this setup stored from a pre-88 fiero I parted out.

The downside to running the stock C5/C6 Corvette brakes is that the fronts are so large compared to the rear you're going to 'have' to reduce pressure to the front circuit to bring the system into somewhat balance. Putting a proportioning valve on the front circuit to accomplish this works to a degree...but is seriously bad juju as prop valves were engineered for rear brake circuits...

Given my research and experience thus far with C5/C6 brakes I would advise putting front C5/C6 calipers/rotors both front and rear and attach an auxiliary ebrake caliper. That's the setup I'm marching toward.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2021 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

Ready, fire, aim? ;P

Like Will said... the fiero is setup for a square brake setup.... You can run the rear brakes with drum in hat ebrake with a custom bracket plate setup and a 1/4" spacer between the outer cv joint shoulder and hub bearing and remove the stock mounting caliper ears. I have this setup stored from a pre-88 fiero I parted out.

The downside to running the stock C5/C6 Corvette brakes is that the fronts are so large compared to the rear you're going to 'have' to reduce pressure to the front circuit to bring the system into somewhat balance. Putting a proportioning valve on the front circuit to accomplish this works to a degree...but is seriously bad juju as prop valves were engineered for rear brake circuits...

Given my research and experience thus far with C5/C6 brakes I would advise putting front C5/C6 calipers/rotors both front and rear and attach an auxiliary ebrake caliper. That's the setup I'm marching toward.

I have C5 fronts on all four corners, it seems to stop nicely, that being said I haven't hammered down on it yet, and ideally it needs a larger MC. I have been investigating options for a drum in hat setup, but most will likely not clear the C5 front calipers, leaving a spot caliper as possibly the only easy solution.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2021 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

I have C5 fronts on all four corners, it seems to stop nicely, that being said I haven't hammered down on it yet, and ideally it needs a larger MC. I have been investigating options for a drum in hat setup, but most will likely not clear the C5 front calipers, leaving a spot caliper as possibly the only easy solution.

It's your caliper adapters I'm using from RFT...

I have notes buried somewhere where I did the bore calculations to run 4 front C5/C6 calipers and the 84-87 master cylinder 1" bore, .015 larger than the 88, was spot on...... but I need to make sure I didn't size it for the 'stock' C5/C6 front rear setup...just haven't gotten to brakes yet..... The fiero store sells an 11% larger reman'd bore as well..

The best rear ebrake caliper I've seen is from the Dodge Viper.

EDIT: I just remembered where my notes were for my calculations.... for the stock C5/C6 setup it's a 1" bore, for running 4 fronts, which gives a total of 19.25 sq. in. of piston area, a 1 1/8" bore would be required. Sounds like the fiero store reman'd master cylinder or the S10 master would work well...

[This message has been edited by msweldon (edited 02-03-2021).]

str8maxn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2021 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for str8maxnSend a Private Message to str8maxnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I can you use both the Front and Rear brakes. THAT"S GREAT NEWS>>>>

What are the recommended brackets for this setup?
Cheeta Brakets

Or

EMBRACE

But they only sell the front.

I'm also going to do the S10 brake booster mode as well.

[This message has been edited by str8maxn (edited 02-03-2021).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2021 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msweldon:

It's your caliper adapters I'm using from RFT...

I have notes buried somewhere where I did the bore calculations to run 4 front C5/C6 calipers and the 84-87 master cylinder 1" bore, .015 larger than the 88, was spot on...... but I need to make sure I didn't size it for the 'stock' C5/C6 front rear setup...just haven't gotten to brakes yet..... The fiero store sells an 11% larger reman'd bore as well..

The best rear ebrake caliper I've seen is from the Dodge Viper.

EDIT: I just remembered where my notes were for my calculations.... for the stock C5/C6 setup it's a 1" bore, for running 4 fronts, which gives a total of 19.25 sq. in. of piston area, a 1 1/8" bore would be required. Sounds like the fiero store reman'd master cylinder or the S10 master would work well...

Ah, that makes sense! they bolt up right for you? I plan to run a S10 Master with a bias adjuster for the rear circuit.

Originally posted by str8maxn:

So I can you use both the Front and Rear brakes. THAT"S GREAT NEWS>>>>

What are the recommended brackets for this setup?
Cheeta Brakets

Or

EMBRACE

But they only sell the front.

I'm also going to do the S10 brake booster mode as well.

I got my front brackets as an "off the shelf" part from Sluppy123, and the rear brackets I designed and had him make for me.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock