Current Available Windshield Manufacturers by reinhart
Started on: 01-31-2021 04:39 AM
Replies: 6 (329 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 02-03-2021 05:52 AM
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2021 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another windshield thread. I've read several dozen threads and it seems to be mentioned that really only Chinese brands are available, I haven't really seen a list of what specific manufacturers are making Fiero windshields. Nor have I seen anyone compare them.

It has been mentioned that the Chinese ones are lower quality and cause distortions, but which is the least of the evils?

I contacted half a dozen local installation shops, most didn't want to tell me what the manufacturer was or had no idea (Safelite) without me just showing up and having them order it for me after I pay. I was told by several that the only brand they can get is "FYG" (a chinese brand). However, one told me they also can get a brand called "TRI". I tried to get more info on this company but can't find them mentioned anywhere online. I asked for more info from the installer but have heard nothing back.

1) What is TRI?
2) Are FYG and TRI the only brands available now? Or who else is making windshields for us?
3) Of the available ones, which is the best?

Bonus: 4) I prefer the look of the original molding. Do I need to remove the rubber molding that comes attached to the new glass or can I cut the lip off and then still press the factory molding in with the edge of the christmas tree snipped off as suggested in the 88 service manual? Has anyone reused that molding on a new glass or am I out of luck?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2021 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

Another windshield thread. I've read several dozen threads and it seems to be mentioned that really only Chinese brands are available, I haven't really seen a list of what specific manufacturers are making Fiero windshields. Nor have I seen anyone compare them.

It has been mentioned that the Chinese ones are lower quality and cause distortions, but which is the least of the evils?

I contacted half a dozen local installation shops, most didn't want to tell me what the manufacturer was or had no idea (Safelite) without me just showing up and having them order it for me after I pay. I was told by several that the only brand they can get is "FYG" (a chinese brand). However, one told me they also can get a brand called "TRI". I tried to get more info on this company but can't find them mentioned anywhere online. I asked for more info from the installer but have heard nothing back.

1) What is TRI?
2) Are FYG and TRI the only brands available now? Or who else is making windshields for us?
3) Of the available ones, which is the best?

Bonus: 4) I prefer the look of the original molding. Do I need to remove the rubber molding that comes attached to the new glass or can I cut the lip off and then still press the factory molding in with the edge of the christmas tree snipped off as suggested in the 88 service manual? Has anyone reused that molding on a new glass or am I out of luck?

Last time I had the windshield replaced the installer just pulled the OEM rubber molding out, then got underneath the cracked windshield with a removal tool and cut the adhesive sealer away from the windshield frame. After the frame was cleaned of all of the old windshield seal a new seal bead was put all around the frame, the windshield dropped in place and the rubber molding replaced.
There could still be a domestic windshield manufacturer as there was a guy selling Fiero glass on this forum a while ago. Safelite tends to sell the cheapest available.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2021 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, the person selling US glass on here was saying he only had 2 left and they were purchased many years earlier. This was 2 years ago he was selling them and another thread said he had sold them all.

Did the installer have to trim the tip of the Christmas tree original seal or just reinstall as is?

Did the new glass come with a rubber seal already wrapped around it or was it just a glass edge? If it had a rubber seal, did he remove that?

Does Safelite manufacture its own glass or what brand did you get from them?

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 01-31-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2021 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis, the person selling US glass on here was saying he only had 2 left and they were purchased many years earlier. This was 2 years ago he was selling them and another thread said he had sold them all.

Did the installer have to trim the tip of the Christmas tree original seal or just reinstall as is?

Did the new glass come with a rubber seal already wrapped around it or was it just a glass edge? If it had a rubber seal, did he remove that?

Does Safelite manufacture its own glass or what brand did you get from them?

The windshield is held in place by a flexible seal. All of the old stuff was removed. I recall that the installer put a new bead in place using a chalking gun. After the windshield was in place he re-installed the OEM outside rubber by just pressing it back in place. Just looked and the brand of my windshield is LOF and its made in the USA . They used to be an OEM manufacturer along with PPG but I believe that Safelite has now gone full blown Chinese. You might still be able to get USA brands but they must be special ordered. LOF was bought by Nippon Sheet Glass and sells under the NSG/Pilkington brand I had a friend that called Safelite for a Fiero windshield and they showed up with a Chinese brand. He inspected it and it was terrible. The shading was done sloppy and the curve was way off. He told the installer to bring it back and bring a new one. He showed up two more times until my friend got a windshield that looked reasonable. Here is a video showing what a major brand Chinese windshield looks like.
https://youtu.be/94X45TBPpno
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That video is scary. I'm worried about getting my glass now. I will likely get it on Wed. They're delivering it so I need to figure out how I'll inspect it before paying.

What was the approximate date of when you got your LOF windshield?
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That video is scary. I'm worried about getting my glass now. I will likely get it on Wed. They're delivering it so I need to figure out how I'll inspect it before paying.

What was the approximate date of when you got your LOF windshield?

The LOF corp was bought out and has changed a few times over the past 20 years. Same with PPG. I had my windshield installed about 10 years back. Some domestic sources may still be available. As for being worried about getting poor quality glass; do as my friend did and inspect before the installation. He rejected the first two and it was on the third try before he got something that looked reasonably good but not perfect. The bottom line is that it is your money and you deserve and have every right to expect something of good quality.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2021 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was checking things out after reading and seeing youtube distortion videos. So today I was looking through another Fiero with stock windshield, and there was a lot of distortion at one angle basically sitting just outside the drivers door and looking out the passenger side windshield. I never noticed it before until today and I've owned it for 20 years. Anyway thought that was interesting so that's a GM/US made part.

Oh I found out that the "TRI" brand is Tribal, which I'm told is also Chinese. Not sure if the installer shortened that to confuse me or what lol.

I decided to go with the FYG glass. It looked pretty good in the picture and scheduled to have it delivered Wed for a self-installation. I already have the other glass ready to be removed (trim, wipers and vent cowl out). Waiting to pull the glass until I have the new one so I don't have to worry about rain or water getting in. I know no one seems to do a windshield self-install on these forums but after seeing a bunch of horror videos on youtube of botched installs, I figure at least if I do it myself I know it's done the way I want.

Some issues I have with the installers:

1) The installers here all use a really obtrusive "h" shaped gasket that is super wide 1" and isn't very attractive IMO. I am going to use the factory-style press in trim molding the Fiero Store sells. Unfortunately, the factory 3/8" width isn't available anymore just a 1/2" wide one but regardless it looks 10x better than the "h" gaskets.

2) Also I'm going to shim the glass so it's flush with the A pillars and roof. I noticed even from the factory, this wasn't done correctly, or at least it wasn't done on my 88's. The roof section and upper A-pillars seems pretty much spot on but as you get down to the base of the A-pilars, the glass is a 1/4" in more than the A-pillars. This leaves a gap to the groove along the inside of the A-arm which would not be there if the glass were higher in that area.

3) A lot of them overdo the urethane. This can leak into the cabin (headliner, plastic A-pillar trim and dashboard can be gooed up. Not to mention the fiberglass A-pillars and molding can become impossible to ever remove. I believe they do this for liability reasons. If the windshield pops out in an accident or something you could sue so they err on the side of over-urethaning it.

4) Sloppy work. They usually are in and out in an hour. I spent several hours alone just removing the trim and wipers.

5) I want to check for rust and remove it if I find any. You know the installers aren't doing this. Likely just painting over the rust with primer.

I bought about $65 in tools/materials so it will end up being the same cost as paying someone to rush through a 60 minute install. However, if I need to change out another windshield in the future I will have all the tools I need. I'd just need a new $12 caulk of urethane and a new trim piece next time.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock