Adjusting emergency brake by ninedriver
Started on: 01-21-2021 04:42 PM
Replies: 7 (619 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 02-02-2021 10:42 PM
ninedriver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I replaced the rear brake pads with a lot of help from previous threads. I also attempted to adjust the emergency brake as they weren’t working. I removed the spring, removed the cable from the bracket, and removed the bracket. I tightened the bolt/screw that comes out the back of the caliper and went to reinstall the bracket. Unfortunately, when I go to put the bracket back on in its most rearward position, the hexagonal hole doesn’t line up with the bolt head coming out of the caliper. I have to rotate the bracket forward to get the holes to line up to reattach it. Then when the spring is back on, it forces the bracket back to the stop basically taking out the tightening adjustment I had just put in.

When I pull the emergency brake handle, the bracket moves forward with each click and will stop the tire from rotating while up on a jack, but with the car on the ground, on a slight hill, with the handle pulled all the way up, the car will still roll.

Any direction on how I can tighten things up?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you adjusted... the equalizer?

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you check the cave? did you try Adjusting cables?
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try looking here: http://web.archive.org/web/...erocave/brakes2.htm.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply’s. I’ll go step by step with ogre’s tutorials tomorrow and report back. By the way, after rereading my post, I should have used the word “lever” instead of the word “bracket” throughout the whole thing. The actual bracket is attached to the caliper like it should be. The moving, adjusting of the lever is what is in question.
dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2021 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ninedriver:

Thanks for the reply’s. I’ll go step by step with ogre’s tutorials tomorrow and report back. By the way, after rereading my post, I should have used the word “lever” instead of the word “bracket” throughout the whole thing. The actual bracket is attached to the caliper like it should be. The moving, adjusting of the lever is what is in question.

Don't touch the stuff on the caliper, unless absolutely necessary. You can foul up a difficult- or impossible-to-come-by-caliper if you're not careful.

The parking brake setup on these cars is truly labyrinthine, and is adjusted by that threaded gizmo in the center of the cables. It's meant to provide equal pull to both sides (thus sometimes being called the brake equalizer), though in my experience it'll pull one side more than the other.

As you say, run thru the adjustment procedure, and all going well, the car should hold.

-- A
ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got back to it. After removing the right side e brake lever I was able to get a bit more adjustment on the actuator screw and I also got a little more adjustment from the cable/equalizer. After a few tweaks here and there, it functions great now and it’s nice to have the added security.
Thanks guys
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dremu:
The parking brake setup on these cars is truly labyrinthine, and is adjusted by that threaded gizmo in the center of the cables. It's meant to provide equal pull to both sides (thus sometimes being called the brake equalizer), though in my experience it'll pull one side more than the other.

The equalizer pulls with equal cable tension on both sides.

If the left/right calipers don't have the same resistance, the distance pulled won't be the same, despite the tension being equal.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock