3800sc won’t stay running by Chris_B_84se
Started on: 01-16-2021 01:24 PM
Replies: 13 (217 views)
Last post by: Chris_B_84se on 01-21-2021 08:41 AM
Chris_B_84se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve just got my ‘84 back together after swapping in a 3800sc, I’ve come down to starting it now. The car will start for a second or two then dies.
A bit of background: I have gone through and checked the the injectors all all have power and are working, my crank and cam sensors are sending signals, I have fuel pressure, pump primes and runs, I have swapped out ICMs, I’ve checked for any vacuum leaks (found none), inspected and cleaned IAC (it’s working as it should) I’ve tried starting with the MAP unplugged, nothing changes. Tried starting with MAF unplugged, nothing changes. I’ve jumped the fuel pump relay so it constantly ran while starting, nothing changed. This engine/ harness/ trans all came out of another Fiero running and driving. So I’m at a loss as to why this is happening!!
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

------------------
What ever works

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First question; Has the VATS code been disabled in the PCM?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Chris_B_84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regarding the VATS, the ecu has been unlocked as it has an aftermarket tune. And it was in a running driving Fiero 4 months ago. So I wouldn’t imagine that would be the issue, but it’s a slim chance it could be I guess.
Collector

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CollectorSend a Private Message to CollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fuel pressure gauge, NOID light, to see what is "stopping" when it shuts down
Chris_B_84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2021 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody know of an easy way to “reset” the VATS??
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2021 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_B_84se:

Anybody know of an easy way to “reset” the VATS??

Once the VATS has been disabled in the code it is very unlikely that it needs to be reset. I would scan the PCM for any codes as a defective crankshaft or cam sensor would cause a no start condition.
Have you measured to see if there is 40-43 psi of fuel pressure at the rail?
Point is that you need to use a systematical approach to the tests to find what is wrong. The first step is a PCM scan. The DTC (code) should indicate a defective sensor.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Chris_B_84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2021 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I just scanned for codes, only one came up for the MAP sensor just because I unplugged it. That’s the only code I’ve seen this thing throw. I’ll be getting a pressure sensor this afternoon.
Chris_B_84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2021 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_B_84se

18 posts
Member since Jul 2020
Update: I have 50psi at the rail starting and “running” for the 2 seconds
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a spare ignition module to try or test the one you have on a known running 3800?

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Chris_B_84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spoon.
Yes, I actually have 6 ICM’s I have swapped out a few but the problem doesn’t change. I’ve just put back the one that it was using to run before.

I am just totally stumped at this point. It must be the VATS, but it shouldn’t be. I will have someone with HP Tuners look at it soon.
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What part of Ontario are you in?

I am assuming you have tried giving it throttle while starting/brief running, any change in RPM when you do this?

Does the blower sing freely with the belt off?
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When an engine will not continue running it has to be either spark or fuel as a reason for the problem. If it is the VATS then the injectors will shut off a few seconds into the start. If its the spark then an intermittent crankshaft or camshaft sensor signal is being supplied or it could be another sensor. Has this engine ever started before?

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Chris_B_84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This engine was pulled out of another Fiero this past summer, it was running and driving. Since it was pull it just sat in my garage untouched until I put it I put it in my car in December.
Chris_B_84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_B_84seSend a Private Message to Chris_B_84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chris_B_84se

18 posts
Member since Jul 2020
OntarioKev, I’m from Sarnia. If I give it some throttle when starting it wants to rev up for that brief second it fires. And off the throttle it just fires for a second. And the blower spins nice and smooth.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock