88 V6 No start, cranks, has spark and fuel by iancanskate
Started on: 01-15-2021 08:34 PM
Replies: 7 (511 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 01-17-2021 10:57 PM
iancanskate

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2021 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iancanskateSend a Private Message to iancanskateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I picked up a 1988 Fiero not too long ago after sitting for five years. When I first got it, it started up with some starter fluid and idled on its own but misfired. I changed out the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and injectors. After doing so the car would crank but it wouldn't start. Weird thing is that it is backfiring out of the throttle body when my intake is detached (As if the timing is off). I haven't checked the timing because it had started and idled in the past, but could that somehow be the problem? I tested for spark, no problem. I checked fuel pressure and it's all good, and starter fluid only makes the backfiring worse. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Also btw, my CEL and other lights aren't working but my ECM is getting power? (Could just be the bulbs) But I don't think that would be preventing it from starting.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2021 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iancanskate:

Also btw, my CEL and other lights aren't working but my ECM is getting power?

No point troubleshooting blind. Get the CEL bulb functional so that you can see if the ECM is working properly and check for codes.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-15-2021).]

CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2021 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 for getting the CEL working. Then, in addition to checking for and correcting any codes, I would make sure the plug wires are in the correct position on the distributor cap. Just one tower off, even in the right order, can cause a backfire or no-start, even more so if the distributor is set out of time to begin with. Sounds like it may be slightly out of time if it backfired when it DID start and run. As I've learned from my own experience, if a problem arises after I worked on something, the first thing to check is the last thing I touched. Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary. Let us know what you come up with. - Chris
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+1 on all the above.

This thread may help. //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040710-2-044472.html

Line up the timing marks then pull the distributor cap. The rotor should be pointing at #1 or #4. Also something in there about disconnecting the battery for a moment then reconnecting; don't know about that but why not? Can't hurt. How many miles on the car, it may have jumped timing?
iancanskate

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iancanskateSend a Private Message to iancanskateEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you guys so much for the advice, I'm going to check the timing for sure and get that CEL bulb working. The car only has 72k miles, but I guess jumping timing is a possibility regardless. I've only ever worked on Nissan's so the Fiero is still new to me, its also the oldest car I've had.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is very easy to get the plug wires messed up on the 2.8, and the result is a backfire.
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another thing just occurred to me - if the outer ring on the harmonic balancer has spun on the rubber, due to the nature of rubber as it ages, then the timing mark may not accurately reflect TDC-Compression for cylinders 1 and 4 anymore. Seen it happen more than a few times, on personal vehicles and on fleet stuff. If that has happened, you can still approximate TDC via the finger-over-spark-plug-hole method. Or by removing a valve cover and watching for both of the valves on your chosen cylinder to close. Just something to keep in mind...
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2021 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iancanskate:
So I picked up a 1988 Fiero not too long ago after sitting for five years. When I first got it, it started up with some starter fluid and idled on its own but misfired. I changed out the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and injectors ...

Did I read correctly that you changed the fuel injectors? What new injectors did you install? Are you sure you reconnected them fully/in-order? I assume you flushed the gas tank, lines, and replaced the fuel filter, yes? Five year-old gas sludge even diluted with new gas could lead to a hard-to-start situation I think.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock