Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Which water pump bolts require thread sealant?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Which water pump bolts require thread sealant? by oneinch
Started on: 01-12-2021 10:30 PM
Replies: 4 (578 views)
Last post by: oneinch on 01-31-2021 01:08 AM
oneinch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2021 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which of these water pump bolts require sealant? The blue circles are my guesses based on the service manual, but the manual isn't clear. Please specify the bolt numbers. OR DO ALL BOLTS NEED THREAD SEALANT? Thank you.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

[This message has been edited by oneinch (edited 01-12-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The small bolts (yellow in the diagram) don't need sealant. They go into blind holes. But the other bolts do.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only #4 goes into the water jacket of the block.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-13-2021).]

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not aurguing and I appreciate all replies, but I'm still confused. I even emailed Rodney Dickman figuring he'd know and he replied that none need sealer. I agree the big bolt #4 needs sealer. When I pulled this bolt coolant came out. Coolant didn't come out with any other bolt. The '88 service manual is unclear, confusing and possibly wrong or incomplete. The manual seems to say the little bolts need sealer, but they sure do seem to go into blind holes. Right now I'm inclined to put sealer on all of them just to be safe.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2021 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a follow up. I believe fierosound to be correct. Only the #4 bolt needs sealant. I looked at each bolt hole with an inspection camera to confirm fierosound. Anyhow, I only sealed #4 and I do not have any leaks.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock