Rear height problem by Timantt2
Started on: 01-11-2021 03:10 PM
Replies: 3 (171 views)
Last post by: RayOtton on 01-13-2021 09:32 AM
Timantt2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Timantt2Click Here to visit Timantt2's HomePageSend a Private Message to Timantt2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What else than springs can cause rear height drop?

When I bought the car 12 years ago, it was balanced and I think there was about the same amount of clearance in the wheel wells and aero rocker panels were about the same height from the ground both in front and rear.

Some years ago I noticed that car seems back heavy and rear height has dropped. I bought higher tires to rear.

Now, I finally changed rear struts and springs, but it did not fix the situation much, the rear is still lower than front. In front of the aero rocker is about 2cm higher than in rear, and rear wheels are about 1cm higher than front.

So, what else could be wrong?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OE Springs often Won't cause this problem. Aftermarket springs can and often will.
Replacement struts could wrong part even if box/catalog say is right.

Control Arm bushings maybe bad. But that bad to see very easy is likely to cause other suspension problems.
84-87 Cradle and it's bushings could be bad.
These may not cause other problems except under a set of conditions. Example: Turn normal maybe fine and have problems turning hard left, right or both.

Having crap in the cabin or trunk can make car sitting low. Worse for crap in trunk because that weight is Behind the rear axle.

Could be rear isn't low but front is too high. Or rear a bit low and front a bit high. Either is possible when shocks and struts are not same brand and type. Using non-gas units on one axle and gas unit on the other is known to cause problems. Mixing brands/types can to same.

Engine/trans swaps may cause same if either or both are heavier then OE setup.

Check on very flat very level concrete surface w/ good measuring tools to various parts of car's frame.
If front/rear tires are Not = sizes then must shim the tires so axle centers are same distance to "ground."
Shim tires by driving on metal or wood.
You could jack to shim the tires but need to drive off and on to "reset" the suspension before measuring the frame. (Driving just 1 - 2 yards should cancel jack winding up the tires and car.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-11-2021).]

OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not see mention of the year of your Fiero. But if it is an '88, the redesigned suspension tends to sit that way a bit. That's why I installed a pair of Rodney Dickman's 1" drop lower ball joints on my '88 GT. Leveled the stance right out. Pictures below illustrate this.

With stock lower ball joints:

With Rodney Dickman 1" drop lower ball joints:
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This ought to be good.

I had the same problem with my '88 Formula.

I did the red neck thing and installed a set of spring expander units.

The car is perfectly level now, rides and handles just like it did with the saggy ass. Been that way for 5 years now with no detrimental affects.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock