Radiator Inlet Side Tank Replacement Part Number and Source Needed by reinhart
Started on: 01-10-2021 04:25 AM
Replies: 6 (329 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 01-14-2021 03:11 PM
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was looking through the archives and noticed no one seems to replace a cracked plastic side radiator tank. I've done this twice in the past and it was relatively easy and worked well. The only tools I used were a large flat head screwdriver and a pair of plyers. Once the radiator was out, which you'd need to do regardless, I believe it took me about an hour or so to change the tank. It's also easy to flush out the radiator once the side tank is off by spraying a hose into it, so if it is gummed up at all it will flow like new.

The first time I used a junkyard tank and the second time (after I realize the side tanks were available new) I used a new tank. The used tank lasted another 65,000 miles and the new tank lasted until I sold the car.

So anyway I was just curious am I the only here that replaces the side tank rather than replacing the entire radiator?

And the reason I was checking the forums is because the new tank I used I was able to drive to a local Modine shop and picked up the tank and gasket for a total of $24. However, this was in 2004 and the shop is gone and I can't find anything on Modine's website or on the internet using the part # on the invoice I had. I saw there were two on ebay for $60 which is funny because a radiator is $80 on ebay.

Does anyone have a source to buy a new left side (inlet) plastic tank (auto transmission)?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you'd need to find one at a radiator shop.

One place the rad shops would be getting theirs from.
http://radtank.com/index.htm

Part numbers (look under General Motors/Pontiac Fiero)
https://radiadores.us/cw_si...alogo2.php?op=buscar

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-10-2021).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend who works at a local major radiator shop. He told me the tanks aren't available any more and only radiators that accept transmission fluid lines are being made.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I think you'd need to find one at a radiator shop.

One place the rad shops would be getting theirs from.
http://radtank.com/index.htm

Part numbers (look under General Motors/Pontiac Fiero)
https://radiadores.us/cw_si...alogo2.php?op=buscar

Thanks. I called both. It looks like Rad is a distributor buying from the manufacturers (waiting to hear back) while AM is a manufacturer and is saying none available until march.

I talked to Modine and their tank line was bought up and the buyer then went bankrupt.

Obviously if new radiators with plastic tanks are available then the tanks are being made somewhere.

Has anyone bought a tank in the last 10 years that can give me the manufacturer that is making them still?
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

Obviously if new radiators with plastic tanks are available then the tanks are being made somewhere.

Agreed. And most likely Chinese made these days.

But Fiero radiator is unique, and even a new radiator is sometimes hard to find.
Not for Fiero https://www.carparts.com/radiator-end-tank

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2021 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Agreed. And most likely Chinese made these days.

But Fiero radiator is unique, and even a new radiator is sometimes hard to find.
Not for Fiero https://www.carparts.com/radiator-end-tank

Yes. The tanks are unique. However, lots of cars apparently are just one offs. That's evidenced by AW having 1600 different tanks.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2021 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious; how do you intend to replace the plastic side tank of the radiator, remove it, keep the edges perfectly smooth, install the new tank be leak free and insure a lasting repair?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock