Random question about foam piece by ninedriver
Started on: 01-09-2021 01:18 PM
Replies: 9 (606 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 01-14-2021 08:47 PM
ninedriver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this piece of foam laying on my spare tire/wheel under the front hood. It has specific slits on it and has the remnants of factory double sided tape on the back. For the life of me, I can’t figure out where it goes? Anyone know?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspect it goes around the latch on the hood.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'Guru...I looked at my stock latch seal and it is shaped substantially differently...I at first figured it had to be that so I went and checked- not saying it isn't a later design though, possibly...

Hood latch seal shape;

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 01-09-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks sim to "gaskets" on ac/heater pipes where pipes go thru heater box.
Most heater cores I've seem with foam on pipes have 2 punch holes for the pipes.

In the condition here seems "like new" that someone drop at factory or dealer. Or came off something else completely different.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is where it is located on my 88GT. Never store my sunroof, but is it for the latch to sit in?

It is missing on my 84.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't think all had them. Never seen one in all Fiero in junk yards in 20+ years. Not even leftover glue on the SR storage "shelf" but not sure I even seen 88.
My 87 had no sign anything ever there on the "shelf" vs Missing SR "bumper" on hood still has factory glue crap on the hood.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bjc350 for the win!

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-10-2021).]

ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bjc 350....Nailed it!!
Like others suggested I thought maybe it was for the hood latch, but i had foam there and it was shaped differently like the pic cvxjet posted. I had searched everywhere for some adhesive residue but to no avail. I’m guessing either the release agent used when forming the plastic sunroof shelf or the plastic itself, didn’t allow the tape to adhere properly.
Interesting side note... After i posted this question, I was searching the forum for some direction regarding LED lights. I came across an old thread where a member was selling them and he posted pics of his car with the new bulbs. Check out the picture from under is front hood and look at the spare tire / holder rod and you can see the same piece of foam sitting there! Must have fallen off his sunroof shelf and stuck to the spare wheel like mine.
Mystery solved and apparently its a rare piece of fiero foam history!

P 88 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2021 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for P 88 GTSend a Private Message to P 88 GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually bjc 350 has piece shown but goes under- that is it is glued on bottom and shows through opening. I checked several pics on BaT and mine was off but glue was on underside.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2021 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by P 88 GT:

Actually bjc 350 has piece shown but goes under- that is it is glued on bottom and shows through opening. I checked several pics on BaT and mine was off but glue was on underside.

Same here on the '87GT.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 01-14-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock