LS4 SWAP QUESTIONS by streetrod1
Started on: 01-09-2021 03:48 AM
Replies: 11 (685 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 01-13-2021 10:54 AM
streetrod1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for streetrod1Send a Private Message to streetrod1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all this is a great site im glad to be a part seems like a great bunch of folks.
I have some ls4 swap questions and thought I would get some input.
Is anyone making accessory brackets for ls4 that makes installing ac pump and alternator and p/s delete relatively easy and dependable?
Is there a place I can get those brackets and motor and transmission mounts for 4t65ehd all in one spot. it seems a lot of places that did do it are outta business now.
Being a one man band with an occasional helper i'm trying to plan out and get parts to make things go smooth as possible.
I wish I had another 88 cradle I think it would make measuring easier but I don't so I want to get everything as right as I can first round.
If I can build 2 33 fords with ls engines and ac.. from scratch.. I know I can do this Im good at following directions but i'm a so so fabricator lol who gets tired of fabricating.
Has anyone here used msd 6014 for ignition and ran a carb on a LS4. I've did that on a 5.3 and 6.0 and I gotta say it works pretty well. I'm doing it for my fiero.
I already have the msd, trans controller and my intake and carb, I have access to a rebuilt ls4 and new 4t65e. However I have not picked em up yet so if someone has a low mileage one
(low mileage being under 40000) hit me up Im looking. In next few weeks im gonna pick up a motor and trans. Ideally I would like to have a new or reman LS4 long block..so im looking hard.
If I do a new long block then i'm gonna have to chase down tinware, water pump, bolts etc...and that takes forever. If I get a donor car i'm never gonna find a clean low mileage example. Those are all old now.
Who has done an LS4 swap recently and what was easiest way you found to get motor and trans.
I have a brand new..not reman but new 6.0 GM PERFORMANCE crate engine that's dressed and ready to go in someone's rwd non fiero project. If you have a new or reman ls4 and a 4t65ehd I would consider swapping..Thats a 450hp streetable beast right there .
It's all done all you have to do is connect a switched power ground and a carburetor and you are ready to go.
https://www.karlkustoms.com...q9-ls-series-engine/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are few places that sell LS4 swap parts. The only source that I know of is West Coast Fiero but they sometimes take a long time to deliver product.
As for using a carburetor on this engine, you do realize that this engine uses Active fuel management. That can be removed with internal changes but whats most puzzling is why you would want to use a carburetor on this engine? Old technology is using a device that is not optimal or self adjusting for all driving conditions. MPFI is the way to go and the LS4 is set up for it. IMO, fuel and spark control would be impossible to optimize with a carburetor. All of my engines are MPFI and I can drive along with my laptop and make engine tuning and transmission adjustments for all driving conditions on the fly.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2021 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the handful of years I've been around there have been several projects offered here and there was even one locally that someone gave up on. Might be worthwhile to wait and watch for one that's partially done already, especially if you have never done a project like this.
streetrod1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for streetrod1Send a Private Message to streetrod1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LS engines believe it or not love carburetion a carbed ls engine will make 10-15 more hp outta the box than the plastic intake all day..its a fact..it is proven. Is it a hassle.. a lil ..is it efficient probably not. If you are going for smiles per gallon though it ain't a bad deal at all. If you have a trans controller and an msd 6014 and just a little patience its an easy alternative. Here's a vid of one I did in a 33 Ford. Please don't mind the test exhaust..this was a first start before any jet changes..It was a brawler 750 and all it required was a squirter change-that was it. The ls engines have a great carb charge I know people that go a lot bigger on cfm.I was trying to get it ready for exhaust shop ! The wisp of smoke you see is my Kool cigarette..shhh don't tell the wife..she thinks i quit !
https://photos.google.com/a...2iYFSWJ0Jd_irokpCpQa

[This message has been edited by streetrod1 (edited 01-09-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by streetrod1:

LS engines believe it or not love carburetion a carbed ls engine will make 10-15 more hp outta the box than the plastic intake all day..its a fact..it is proven. Is it a hassle.. a lil ..is it efficient probably not. If you are going for smiles per gallon though it ain't a bad deal at all. If you have a trans controller and an msd 6014 and just a little patience its an easy alternative. Here's a vid of one I did in a 33 Ford. Please don't mind the test exhaust..this was a first start before any jet changes..It was a brawler 750 and all it required was a squirter change-that was it. The ls engines have a great carb charge I know people that go a lot bigger on cfm.I was trying to get it ready for exhaust shop ! The wisp of smoke you see is my Kool cigarette..shhh don't tell the wife..she thinks i quit !
https://photos.google.com/a...2iYFSWJ0Jd_irokpCpQa

Certainly you have every right to build your engine as you please and I won't argue with that. However, you won't convince me and the modern engine enthusiasts that using 80 yr old technology is the right way to build in 2021. A carburetor is a dumb device, tunable in a very limited RPM range where fuel injection is self adjusting for all engine loads, RPM.s, road speeds, temperatures and environmental conditions. Drivability and engine life is also way better. If you want better breathing on an LS4, the LS3 plenum can be made to fit and there are good cam selections. A few guys on this forum have built SPFI LS4 engines to over 400 HP. Again do it your own way but don't expect optimum results.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

streetrod1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for streetrod1Send a Private Message to streetrod1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Certainly you have every right to build your engine as you please and I won't argue with that. However, you won't convince me and the modern engine enthusiasts that using 80 yr old technology is the right way to build in 2021. A carburetor is a dumb device, tunable in a very limited RPM range where fuel injection is self adjusting for all engine loads, RPM.s, road speeds, temperatures and environmental conditions. Drivability and engine life is also way better. If you want better breathing on an LS4, the LS3 plenum can be made to fit and there are good cam selections. A few guys on this forum have built SPFI LS4 engines to over 400 HP. Again do it your own way but don't expect optimum results.

It's all good and I respect your opinion. The motor in that vid is 30hp shy of 500.
Only point I was trying to make is there's a much much more cost effective way to do the ls4 swap if you want to save cash, and as far as intakes go with tuning and a different intake
sure it will make lots of power. If you are using stock ECM and the normal old ls4 monte style intake..the carb version will outflow it all day long hands down..sometimes old technology that's proven works very well. I'm gonna use the gm grind l33 engine cam. Its pretty mild.
When was the last time you installed a good carb? You shouldn't really label them dumb devices.
20 years back it was a lil harder to line one out, but the ones today do not take a lot of tuning from start.
Me personally I would rather get out my vacuum gauge and my jet box and take a couple hours..Than to pay thousands for ecm tuning..trust me its a lot easier than hauling it to a dyno.

streetrod1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2021 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for streetrod1Send a Private Message to streetrod1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

streetrod1

53 posts
Member since Dec 2020
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

There are few places that sell LS4 swap parts. The only source that I know of is West Coast Fiero but they sometimes take a long time to deliver product.
As for using a carburetor on this engine, you do realize that this engine uses Active fuel management. That can be removed with internal changes but whats most puzzling is why you would want to use a carburetor on this engine? Old technology is using a device that is not optimal or self adjusting for all driving conditions. MPFI is the way to go and the LS4 is set up for it. IMO, fuel and spark control would be impossible to optimize with a carburetor. All of my engines are MPFI and I can drive along with my laptop and make engine tuning and transmission adjustments for all driving conditions on the fly.

I had pleasure today of talking with "THE FIERO KING". Im going to get my swap brackets there. He is super knowledgeable and I'm excited about doing business there !

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by streetrod1:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I had pleasure today of talking with "THE FIERO KING". Im going to get my swap brackets there. He is super knowledgeable and I'm excited about doing business there !

If you have Facebook trying going to Pickardt Performance (2P's). They are all about the LS4 swaps for our cars. They offer brackets to rebuilds or fully assembled cradle with motor. Just depends how much you want to spend.

He also is on here as well screen name GPickardt.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 01-10-2021).]

streetrod1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for streetrod1Send a Private Message to streetrod1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

If you have Facebook trying going to Pickardt Performance (2P's). They are all about the LS4 swaps for our cars. They offer brackets to rebuilds or fully assembled cradle with motor. Just depends how much you want to spend.

He also is on here as well screen name GPickardt.

Hey I reached out..it was great..tysm !
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2021 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have to join the group to see what products are offered and prices?
streetrod1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2021 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for streetrod1Send a Private Message to streetrod1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah just go their Facebook page and send a message and pickardt performance can answer you back..they sent me a pricelist. I'm getting a cradle with mounts in it and I might let them build my axles too. I wanted the whole cradle so I can leave me car intact till I'm ready to do swap.i have 3 hotrods and my garage is way too crowded. Their prices seem fair. I also considered letting them do whole swap, but they are backed up till October 21.
I'm having hard time finding a 5.3. for some reason remans are through roof. I can take D.O.D. out in my sleep but I need a low low mileage motor. I will find one. I truly think a rebuild is never as good as the original but if I can't find an under 50000 mi example i.may have no choice...we will c .

[This message has been edited by streetrod1 (edited 01-12-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2021 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, glad you reached out. I am an admin on there page and a good friend. Gary and Jestin are great people. Fieroguru on here is also another LS4 guy and worth reaching out to for information.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock