AC conversion couple questions by ninedriver
Started on: 01-04-2021 12:33 AM
Replies: 14 (260 views)
Last post by: ninedriver on 02-02-2021 11:03 PM
ninedriver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have another thread about AC diagnostics and my new to me 88GT. After utilizing some suggestions I’ve determined my system is in need of an upgrade. I’ve ordered the compressor, accumulator, oriface tube, o rings, flush, etc and been doing a lot of reading on the forum.

One recommendation I came across was replacing the AC compressor control valve(s) like pictured here.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

First of all, what’s the purpose of the new valve? Can I swap mine from my old compressor or is the new one needed for 134a?

Also, it looks like I have 2 control valves on my old compressor. Do I need 2 new ones?

Finally, how much oil should I add to the system and how much r134a should it take?

- new compressor: four seasons 58255

88GT

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes and yes

R134a operates at different pressure than R12. Did you match up compressors or just go off of parts lists? The one that takes the valve is typically on the 2.5l
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That valve is only used on the Variable compressor, as mentioned. If you bought a new compressor, it will have a new valve anyway. No need to buy.

R134 is usually charged at about 80% by weight compared to the stock R12 values. I no longer have my Fiero books, but hopefully someone else will chime in.

Total oil in the system should be about 6-8 OZ. You will have residual oil in the condenser if not replacing that item, so I usually add 2-3 of ounces in the accumulator, and another 2-3 ounces in the compressor. Use Ester oil, as it is compatible with the old mineral oil as well as the R134a. I like to use the oil with Dye, to help find future leaks. Once the compressor is installed, you need to rotate by hand the center part of the clutch 4-6 revolutions, so you can distribute the liquid oil in the compressor into the lines a bit so you don't wind up hurting the compressor on first start.

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darbysan:

That valve is only used on the Variable compressor, as mentioned. If you bought a new compressor, it will have a new valve anyway. No need to buy.

I just bought one in Aug and it explicitly said comes with R12 valve. So i had to buy the r134a one as well.

Edit:
It also came pre charged with PAG oil and PAG is incompatible with the R12 oil.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 01-04-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:
I just bought one in Aug and it explicitly said comes with R12 valve. So i had to buy the r134a one as well.
Edit:
It also came pre-charged with PAG oil and PAG is incompatible with the R12 oil.

Not saying that it is a good idea but when I did my 3800SC swap we used the V7 Compressor. We didn't dump it out of the PAG oil and just blew out the system with air, replaced the accumulator , orifice tube, a few O rings, sealed it up, evacuated, added the 6 oz Ester oil and recharged. Seven years later the system still blows very cold and works well. My theory is that the compressor doesn't contain much oil and the small amount of PAG oil left in it wasn't harmful.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Not saying that it is a good idea but when I did my 3800SC swap we used the V7 Compressor. We didn't dump it out of the PAG oil and just blew out the system with air, replaced the accumulator , orifice tube, a few O rings, sealed it up, evacuated, added the 6 oz Ester oil and recharged. Seven years later the system still blows very cold and works well. My theory is that the compressor doesn't contain much oil and the small amount of PAG oil left in it wasn't harmful.

Yeah I left the PAG added more PAG but i ran flush through the Evaporator and Accumulator until there was no more visible oil.

I also did not use the $$ Flush i used denatured alcohol. I was shocked how much oil was still in the Evap. my system had been open to air for 13+ years

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have an 88 GT, your car doesn't have that control valve, the control valve is only used in the V5 compressors on 86-88 4 cylinder cars. The 88 GT has an HR6 compressor. The HR6 compressor is controlled by the pressure switch mounted on the accumulator, for R-134A, it should be adjusted from 25 psi (R-12) to 21 psi (R-134A) or buying a pre-calibrated new switch.

The two things in the back of your current compressor are not valves, but switches. The old ones can be re-used if they come out intact, but the plastic is usually old and brittle. New ones are available, requiring updated connectors

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/117640.html

Car should still take 8oz of oil, but R-134A amount should be 80-90% of the original R-12 charge of 2.5lbs, which would be approximately 2.1 lbs (or 3 of the small 12oz cans).

A small amount of mineral oil remaining in the system is fine, you just want to remove as much as possible. Most of it is going to be in the accumulator and old compressor, with some in the condenser and under-car lines.
ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome guys, thanks! The knowledge on this forum is invaluable. The switches on the back of my old compressor came out nicely and are in good shape, plastic and all. I also just picked up the correct clutch cycle switch to hopefully complete the parts order.

The rest of the parts arrived today and I have a couple more follow up questions.

On the back of my old compressor right in the center, there is something attached where on the new compressor there is a recessed brass bolt with a Torx grub screw in the middle. What are those and do I need to transfer that as well?

Also, new compressor came with 4 metal / rubber gasket deals. I assume they’re used to couple the ac lines to the compressor. How do I determine which 2 to use?

Thanks again!
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's not the same compressor.

Edit:
By that i mean they are different. Not saying it won't work or is wrong.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The thing in the middle is the emergency relief valve, you just leave the one in the new compressor there.

The seals are sealing washers, the compressor should have come with instructions on which to use.

https://www.compressorworks...20FOUR%20SEASONS.PDF

IIRC the Fiero hose assembly uses the red and green washers.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2021 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

Yeah I left the PAG added more PAG but i ran flush through the Evaporator and Accumulator until there was no more visible oil.

I also did not use the $$ Flush i used denatured alcohol. I was shocked how much oil was still in the Evap. my system had been open to air for 13+ years

The accumulator contains a sack of desiccant that is used to catch any residual moisture that is left in the system. By flushing it out with solvent you may have defeated its purpose. Standard procedure, is to replace that part if the system is opened. As for flushing the condenser and evaporator that is a good idea.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2021 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The accumulator contains a sack of desiccant that is used to catch any residual moisture that is left in the system. By flushing it out with solvent you may have defeated its purpose. Standard procedure, is to replace that part if the system is opened. As for flushing the condenser and evaporator that is a good idea.

Ha! Yes replace the accumulator. Its cheap.
I meant to say condenser in my post not accumulator.
ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, update on my conversion. All went well, by well I mean a few bloody knuckles and choice words, but I got it done. Thanks for all the advice and direction. I probably won’t need it for a while but it was nice working on it in a 65 degree garage now vs a 100 degree garage come summer.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it blows cold?
ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yessir. 👍🏻
All charged up and ready for summer. On a side note, while charging the ac my radiator fan didn’t come on. That lead me down another trouble shooting rabbit hole / thread and solved that problem. Dirty, burned contacts on the relay. These Fiero’s sure are a lot of fun in the garage! Actually, I enjoy working on it. Especially with the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock