Started on: 01-03-2021 10:07 PM
Replies: 3 (394 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 01-11-2021 09:25 PM
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As part of a preventative (I noticed no symptoms from the driver's seat perspective) brake rebuild, I took apart a set of rear brake calipers.

On one of the pistons, the metal cap is slightly caved in on the edge by about 0.030":

Good to go ahead and use the piston as-is, or replace?

Can I take this apart, and flatten this with a hydraulic press?

This piston is from a Cadillac Seville caliper.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 01-03-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely someone drop the part. Nothing in the caliper should touch the cap except the large spring you see pulling the piston.
Directly under the "cap" is a BB set w/ two thin "washers" as upper and lower races.
See my Cave, Rear Piston notes

Bend the cap can be problems for P-brake and self-adjust as the BB maybe bad.
Taking apart the piston isn't a great idea either even w/ "internet" saying can rebuild a iffy piston. Worse likely some rebuilder already torn it apart 1 to several times weakening the cap.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
10-4

I'll get another one.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't buy just the piston, so I bought an entire Cardone caliper just to cannibalize its piston.

Its cap was slightly dented as well (but much less pronounced), but I just pried it a bit (from the outside, no disassembly required) with a screwdriver so the bearing race sat flat on the cap.

I removed the vent plug from the piston pictured above, and I found that it was wet with brake fluid inside, so I guess it was needing replacement anyway.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock