Pulling Rear Suspension Bushings by eti engineer
Started on: 01-03-2021 03:13 PM
Replies: 11 (244 views)
Last post by: hobbywrench on 01-05-2021 10:28 AM
eti engineer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gents,

Happy New Year to all, I hope...

I am replacing all the bushings in my rear suspension on my '88. I know there is a tool to pull out the old ones, but their are a lot of them on the market. Has anyone done this and found a particular brand/type that works well? These are not going to come out without some force, so I am asking to make sure I buy the best tool for the job.

Thanks...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried pressing the old rubber out of my rear 87 a arms (yes yes its all different) i bent my a arms. After that i subscribe to the school of burning them out.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get a bushing removal tool set from O'Reilly auto parts- they charge you for it but when you bring it back they give you back the deposit...

I also bought some metal tubing and made half-round spacers so the A-arms wouldn't crush while pressing out and in the bushings
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I tried pressing the old rubber out of my rear 87 a arms (yes yes its all different) i bent my a arms. After that i subscribe to the school of burning them out.

Thanks. I started with the trailing arms first, just in case. They look to be the healthiest of the options. The new poly bushings are split, have new sleeves and look like they will slide right in with a little grease, which I will be using anyway.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eti engineer

274 posts
Member since Mar 2017

Originally posted by cvxjet:

You can get a bushing removal tool set from O'Reilly auto parts- they charge you for it but when you bring it back they give you back the deposit...

I also bought some metal tubing and made half-round spacers so the A-arms wouldn't crush while pressing out and in the bushings

Thanks. I will most likely rent one from them as this is a job I don't do too often. I did it on my 280Z, but they came out fairly easily after I soaked them in penetrating oil. The ones on the Fiero won't budge. The crush preventing metal tubing is a good Idea. I will keep this in mind. Take care...

hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few years back replaced all on 85 GT with OEM - type rubber bushings using hydraulic press/threaded rods/various pushers and backups -sockets, tubes. The bushing eyes are subject to damage and must be supported , especially in replacement. I got all of them out with some effort and TLC. The fit of bolts to (new) bushing ID's was not good so I wrapped shim stock to achieve good sliding fit. Results worth the effort. Before replacement snap oversteer as loose suspension reacted to throttle, All has been well for ...7-8 years of weekly driving.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I se that you are working on the rear 88 suspension so you don't need my spacers...But if you ever do your front A-arms here is what the spacers look like;

ragoldsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ragoldsmithSend a Private Message to ragoldsmithEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I se that you are working on the rear 88 suspension so you don't need my spacers...But if you ever do your front A-arms here is what the spacers look like;

Is this to prevent crushing while removing?
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the right tool. And by right tool, I mean the wrong tool, but one I had on hand.

I used one of those c-clamp press kits. I didn't have any luck with the any of the press inserts or sleeves, so I just used the clamp screw and pressed the inner metal shaft through the bearing using my big impact gun. Then I was able to go back again with a socket on the screw, to push the bushing out, again with the big impact gun. Then I spent a lengthy amount of time getting the socket out of the bushing, I found my elbow grease isn't as good as I thought it was. Then do it again 11 more times.

I used Rodney's rubber bushings (w/ metal sleeves) as replacements. They came with a flapper to clean the bores, and I gave everything a coat of anti-seize on the way in.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ragoldsmith:

Is this to prevent crushing while removing?

Bing!....(Now where did the other part)...Go!
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2021 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made a tool for doing the rear bushings and it worked great!!! I will make a video or photo shoot. I used a regular 5-ton puller, 30 bucks at Harbor Freight, a carriage bolt and my rattle gun to pull the center metal sleeve out and then pulled the rubber out with a pair of long-nosed pliers. Took me less than 5 minutes to pull each bushing. Once one gets the center metal sleeve out of the rubber, it is no problem after that.
PFF
System Bot
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2021 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good pics...that's what I remember. Sometimes overnight blaster soak. Reused all old bolts even with some pitting. Had trouble finding new ones with proper strength/length/pitch. As always proper (perfect) matching of pusher rounds VERY important and probably the limitation and frustration of those without a large assortment of diameters and lip thickness. I was stalled several times trying to make a proper setup. Slipping off the target or pressing on both the bushing shell and A arm eye at same time is tricky. Deburr/clean/lube . A lathe is a valuable asset in this process . I still want one , but haven't yet.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock