Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  seal that goes in the backside if the rear knuckle - anyone have a part #?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
seal that goes in the backside if the rear knuckle - anyone have a part #? by DimeMachine
Started on: 01-03-2021 11:22 AM
Replies: 5 (214 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-05-2021 11:51 AM
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replacing struts and decided to take my rear knuckle apart to clean/sandblast & pait it, fix the backing plate rust etc. Wheel bearing is in great shape and I keep hearing they don't make them like they used to so I am going to re use it.

Anyone have a part make and # for the seal that goes into the back of the rear knuckle?

PS Ogre- thanks for the info in your CAVE - I will be sure to be careful and push the new seal in (when I find one) as you suggest!

Thanks in advance!

Dime

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 01-03-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The part EXISTS, but is not listed for the Fiero seems to happen these days.
Because the Fiero is now +30 years old, they are "falling off" the list of applications.

CR (Chicago Rawhide) PN 18697
Federal Mogul PN 5699

Item #5

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually if you get a new bearing they come with the seal now. The SKF and Timken bearings are still available.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
Because the Fiero is now +30 years old, they are "falling off" the list of applications.

I ordered this lip seal + O-ring from Rockauto last week; it was listed for the Fiero.

In general, consult Rockauto for part numbers, even if you don't intend on buying from them.
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

CR (Chicago Rawhide) PN 18697
Federal Mogul PN 5699

Item #5

Thank you Sir - I appreciate it!!!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2021 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless the seal is rotten can reuse them if not wreck by whoever. Just drive out the back w/ same tool to drive seal in.

The O-ring on the Bearing and back seal keeps out most of crap and polluted water out of axle/bearing joint.
Seal won't keep all water out when ID10t drives thru deep water because Knuckle have a small vent notch where seal metal hits the knuckle hole.
Bearings have own seals that really keep out crap.

Originally posted by PhatMax:
Usually if you get a new bearing they come with the seal now. The SKF and Timken bearings are still available.
Yup, and many parts sources only sold them as a bundle.

Getting a seal at many part stores even w/ right numbers can be hard to impossible. Same for "guard ring" on end of the axle. I've know right away if axles been replace because many fools give away (as a core etc.) or junk old axle and never move the ring to new axle. I never seen can get new rings except maybe thru Car Dealer Service Dept. Never seen them even thru Dorman and other carries many "Dealer only" or otherwise hard to find items.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock