1988 Power Steering by DrXtreme
Started on: 01-02-2021 06:56 PM
Replies: 3 (561 views)
Last post by: DrXtreme on 01-08-2021 11:12 AM
DrXtreme

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I finally figured out what power steering rack is in my 1988 Mera. It is a Merkur Xr4ti CAM rack, probably from Europe as according to the rebuilder very rare (maybe SOL if I needed a new core). Precision Remanufacturing was able to rebuild it (took some coaxing) as it had the pinion spring adjuster epoxied in and they weren't sure if they could save the threads.

I have to give a shout out to Rodney Dickman for the information. Apparently Link Racing modified many of these racks to fit the Fiero back in the day; fits stock rack mount with only a little modification.

I tested it under load with tires on the ground and no leaks. I can't take it for a test drive just yet.

Dr Xtreme

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2021 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrXtreme:

So I finally figured out what power steering rack is in my 1988 Mera. It is a Merkur Xr4ti CAM rack, probably from Europe as according to the rebuilder very rare (maybe SOL if I needed a new core). Precision Remanufacturing was able to rebuild it (took some coaxing) as it had the pinion spring adjuster epoxied in and they weren't sure if they could save the threads.

I have to give a shout out to Rodney Dickman for the information. Apparently Link Racing modified many of these racks to fit the Fiero back in the day; fits stock rack mount with only a little modification.

I tested it under load with tires on the ground and no leaks. I can't take it for a test drive just yet.

Dr Xtreme

What sort of electronics are you using to control the EHPS?

Nelson
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2021 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe this modified rack was part of the power steering system used on the huge Zimmer Quicksilver that was a rebodied Fiero. That system used a hydraulic power steering pump. The extra weight of the Zimmer big body, chrome bumpers, the auto transmission and the load on the 2.8L engine from the PS pump must have made that car really sluggish. Today the electric PS systems are a far better choice and I believe that I saw a system that used an F-Body rack with an electric pump at Carlisle.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

DrXtreme

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2021 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Standard PS pump on 1995 Northstar engine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock