‘88 Aftermarket front suspension question by TheBravePaladin
Started on: 01-01-2021 03:58 PM
Replies: 15 (453 views)
Last post by: qwikgta on 01-06-2021 05:07 PM
TheBravePaladin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2021 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheBravePaladinSend a Private Message to TheBravePaladinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone! I have an ‘88 GT 5MT with a loose FR upper ball joint. Thing is, the previous owner installed tubular control arms, and I don’t know if I can press factory ball joints into them. Furthermore, the car in on aftermarket adjustable coil overs in the front, and the bushings are shot. I’ve tried searching the parts up but to no avail. I know it may be a long shot, but does anybody have any more information on these parts? These are the only pictures I have, but if need be I can get some more. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2021 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is probably a Held/Arraut tubular setup. Held sold to Arraut in 2011 and Arraut closed in 2018 or 2019.

I suspect the ball joints are stock 88 fiero, but it would be best to pull the suspension apart and verify.
While the suspension is apart, you will likely need to measure the bushings and do some googling or call up prothane or energy suspension to find the right replacements.

BTW,
You should never take your car back to the shop that put it on the lift. The two front pads on the lift are improperly located and bending up your floor boards.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-01-2021).]

RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

BTW,
You should never take your car back to the shop that put it on the lift. The two front pads on the lift are improperly located and bending up your floor boards.

I also noticed the coolant tubes. This makes me sad inside.
TheBravePaladin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheBravePaladinSend a Private Message to TheBravePaladinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:

I also noticed the coolant tubes. This makes me sad inside.

Lol I actually lifted this myself, it was just for a quick inspection, brought ack down within a couple minutes. I was scared to bend the coolant tubes. The floor was already bent beforehand. What’s wrong with the coolant tubes? Also, is lifting it by the pinchwelds still standard procedure? My lift point guide doesn’t go back that far Still new to Fieros
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The very last picture you have posted there both coolant tubes towards the back look to have dents in them.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are all the recommended lift points:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-02-2021).]

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Here are the dented/bent coolant pipes. They are restricting coolant flow and could lead to overheating issues. It is a shame they are bent, the underside of your 88 is very clean.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-02-2021).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For next time...

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-02-2021).]

TheBravePaladin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheBravePaladinSend a Private Message to TheBravePaladinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help everyone! Sorry I’m a bit embarrassed by that lift I’ll make sure I use the good ol frame next time. And yeah it’s super clean, especially for an Indiana car with 160k on the clock. Only your typical valve cover gasket seepage. From the picture, it almost looks as if something is welded to that coolant pipe where it looks bent. Is that the case or is it 100% bent? Thinking of 3800SC swapping it in the future so I’d like it to not overheat
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are all the recommended lift points:

I would add i would stay away from that center front lift on 88s i just had my jack slip and dented my line there... But thats just my luck..
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same setup on my 88, the ball joints are the OEM 88 Fiero ball joints upper and lower.

I have a spare set of lower bushings and they have 2621 molded in the end, probably an Energy Suspension part number. I would call them and if its not theirs then Prothane. The upper bushings probably have a number also, the number on mine is on the end without the flange.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

For next time...

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

TheBravePaladin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheBravePaladinSend a Private Message to TheBravePaladinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I know right, I can’t show my face in here ever again
cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here are the dented/bent coolant pipes. They are restricting coolant flow and could lead to overheating issues. It is a shame they are bent, the underside of your 88 is very clean.

Those are not dents from lifting. Those are the drain plugs.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2021 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cyrus88:

Those are not dents from lifting. Those are the drain plugs.

You can see that the tube is buckled immediately above the drain plug. See how it gets a smidge wider?
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2021 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep, Held / Arruat MS front end.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock