Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  EBC brake pads No tabs? And compress piston?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
EBC brake pads No tabs? And compress piston? by ninedriver
Started on: 12-31-2020 05:41 PM
Replies: 10 (245 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-02-2021 01:24 PM
ninedriver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

I had a previous thread about brake pad selection. I couldn’t find the thermoquiet, and the EBC yellow sounded a bit aggressive. However, I found the EBC greenstuff for a good price on amazon. I’m in the middle of the job and have some questions.
First of all, the new pads don’t have the two small tabs on the back that fit into the holes / notches on the caliper piston. Is it ok to use these?

Also, I know it’s been covered as I’ve read a bunch of threads, but I’m still a bit uncertain on how to compress the piston back into the caliper. I have an 88GT. I removed the e-brake lever. There is a threaded bolt with a nut that the lever was attached on. Do I remove that nut as well? Or just put a socket over it , compress the piston and the threaded bolt/nut will turn?

Thanks
Steve

88GT

[img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/nined river/7DB9B7C3-C312-4CA2-A248-CB9392CEFF29.jpeg[/img]
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more pic attempt.

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the 87 service manual the caliper can be compressed with the parking brake cable and hardware removed. It also references that the tabs in the back of the brake pad have to align to the caliper piston face.

dremu

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, but remember the '88's are a one-year beast and totally different than anything else on the planet (including the earlier Fieros.) (To the OP, we presume you got the magic 88-specific pads, right?)

I seem to recall Ogre saying to never ever compress the piston, but that, again may be for 84-87 cars. Take a look through his cave, linked at the top here, and see if there's anything?

-- A
ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, the 88 is a whole different animal. I did read ogres cave and multiple posts. Seems like it’s ok to compress as long as the e-brake lever is off and use an oversized socket to allow the rear bolt to spin.

I’m still at a loss with the brake pads not having tabs on them. I double checked the part number and they’re supposedly correct. Seems to me the tabs would serve some sort of a purpose, like part of the auto adjust or something. I don’t know, anyone else have an 88 using pads without the tabs?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
⚠️ Warning: You Must have locking "tabs" on pads for rear brake.
W/o them the piston can twist during normal braking and use of P-brake.
That can cause major pad drag causing very big problems like brake fluid boil or fires.

Return them to Amazon. You can't safely mod them to fit.

88 rear cal w/ bridge off then can use same clamp method for older cars. Other then bit different diameter, 88 is No Different then older Fiero or other cars w/ same pistons.

88 had special retract tool only to save time to GM Dealer Service Dept.
If you really want one watch Ebay.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-31-2020).]

ninedriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2020 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ninedriverSend a Private Message to ninedriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply and info. I was afraid of that regarding the pads. Maybe I’ll try a set of the Porterfield R4-S.

nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2021 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As per theorge's comment below. I have an 80 Trans Am with the same rear caliper setup and they all work the same way from Cadillac Elderado 76-78 rear calipers to aftermarket calipers using an integral parking brake setup.

88 rear cal w/ bridge off then can use same clamp method for older cars. Other then bit different diameter, 88 is No Different then older Fiero or other cars w/ same pistons.
RedlinePlus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2021 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedlinePlusSend a Private Message to RedlinePlusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just now opened a box of the EBC Yellow Stuff pads from my inventory, and no tabs. Must be the way they sell um.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No tabs on the pads... Yellow Stuff; did them last month on my 88. Used them in the front only and used Wagner Thermoquiet in the rear; second time using them them and I've been happy, (albeit last time I used Thermoquiets on all four corners).

The rear pads should have the nibs on the piston side or it will lose alignment and cause issues from what I recall hearing...

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2021 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RedlinePlus:
I just now opened a box of the EBC Yellow Stuff pads from my inventory, and no tabs. Must be the way they sell um.
While could use them for fronts like that... Anyone using them w/o locking tabs for rear is taking a big chance of problems. Worse when rear pistons have their own (in)famous problems.
Really... This is NHTSA Recall Level problems for EBC telling people this part is listed for Rear brakes. Anyone with them installed needs to look at exact set in there and no locking ears/tabs need to call maker and/or file a complaint w/ NHTSA for US drivers. ( www.nhtsa.gov and fill a form there.)

NHTSA will order a Recall for aftermarket parts and tools like "recent" Harbor Freight recall in check your jackstands thread.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock