Smoking or steaming engine gasket by 842m4SE
Started on: 12-30-2020 05:12 PM
Replies: 4 (203 views)
Last post by: 842m4SE on 12-30-2020 09:04 PM
842m4SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2020 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ran my '84 Fiero earlier today for the longest time it has run since it was parked in '97, and it was working normally for a while, besides an oddly increasing high idle. After running it for a bit and going in to check the gauges, I come out to check on the engine and there is either steam or smoke coming from one of the gaskets on the engine, along with a few drops of coolant around it.

I'm guessing the gasket would need to be replaced. Is that the solution, or could this be indicative of a greater problem? Also, how would I go about doing it? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2020 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gasket leak. You have the "old style" thermostat housing.

You need the blue Felpro gasket PN 35062
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/144348.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2020 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be bad Cap and coolant ran down but T-stat housing likely rotted/damage letting the gasket leaked.

New T-stat housing part is hard to find.
I'm told is ACDelco # 15-80794 GM# 10038440 but no pictures on few sites claim to have them.
Should be New Tube/Housing w/ own special gasket.

Bad news, isn't only thing iffy or dying as result of being parked or dead coolant. Example: WP Seal is known to fail after parked for months to years then engine runs again.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 12-30-2020).]

842m4SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2020 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Could be bad Cap and coolant ran down but T-stat housing likely rotted/damage letting the gasket leaked.

New T-stat housing part is hard to find.
I'm told is ACDelco # 15-80794 GM# 10038440 but no pictures on few sites claim to have them.
Should be New Tube/Housing w/ own special gasket.

Bad news, isn't only thing iffy or dying as result of being parked or dead coolant. Example: WP Seal is known to fail after parked for months to years then engine runs again.

Ok, that is good to know. Would it still have rotted out in a dry climate? Things seem to be in not quite as bad condition because it is a CA car from a hot and dry area.
Also, would it be good to just replace the water pump while the coolant is drained?
Thank you for the advice and info.
842m4SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2020 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 842m4SESend a Private Message to 842m4SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

842m4SE

82 posts
Member since Sep 2020

Originally posted by fierosound:

Gasket leak. You have the "old style" thermostat housing.

You need the blue Felpro gasket PN 35062
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/144348.html

Ok, thank you for the link and info.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock