Window won't go back up by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 12-14-2020 05:30 PM
Replies: 6 (341 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 01-11-2021 07:31 PM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This morning I ran the passenger side power window all the way down to wipe off the dew. I think I heard a noise just as it hit bottom. It would not come up again. Driver side still works fine. I tried tugging up on the bit of exposed glass while activating the switch but it wouldn't budge. No noises upon activation - no window motor sounds - but I'm guessing it is something inside the door.

It figures... Just as the weather is cold and rainy. Any troubleshooting suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

87 GT, auto, AC.
power windows
daily driver - great condition
78k miles

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2020 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If think switch then might use jumper to check switch is dead... But Don't keep pushing button w/ jam glass or will wreck the switch, motor, etc.

Easiest unplug big connector under A-pillar carpet and put 12V power and ground on heavy wires to door. Only use Quick pulse to start because likely goes down first try.

Nothing then...
Remove outer skin to see window and regulator problems.
or might need remove inner inner skin depending exact problem.

See my Cave, Doors and Windows

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2020 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so I tested the switch by replacing with a known good substitute. No luck.

Next I put a test lamp on the specified pins on the connector below the A pillar per the service manual and they lit up correctly. Looks like the problem is inside the door. The service manual is telling me to replace the window motor but the schematic shows a circuit breaker in or at the motor.

Do I really have to replace the motor at this point? Doesn't a circuit breaker imply that a breaker can be reset? Anyone know if there is a reset button, a switch or a fuse inside the door?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2020 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Breakers are auto-reset thermal type w/o manual reset and buried in the motor.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2020 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Breakers are auto-reset thermal type w/o manual reset and buried in the motor.

Got it.

Thanks
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2021 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to close out this thread with a resolution...

I pulled the outer door skin to inspect and check and prepare for a motor swap (luckily I happen to have a used and a new spare).

It turns out that the problem was nothing more than a loose connector. I cleaned and tightened it up with some safety wire to keep it from loosening up again.

Since I was already in there I cleaned and lubed the window track and replaced the dew wipe on that side.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2021 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:

I pulled the outer door skin to inspect and check and prepare for a motor swap (luckily I happen to have a used and a new spare) ...

Is the access better from the door skin side rather than the door panel side?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock