Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Suggestions as to why car ran great all weekend, then nothing monday morning...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Suggestions as to why car ran great all weekend, then nothing monday morning... by ChanningB
Started on: 11-19-2020 03:49 PM
Replies: 5 (463 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 11-19-2020 07:56 PM
ChanningB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChanningBSend a Private Message to ChanningBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heya guys! Hope everyone is doing well! Just wanted to get some professional advice/opinions as to why yall might think my 88 GT ran great all weekend (and has never once hesitated to start in the 2 years I've owned it). Then, monday morning, I went to start it and it turned over and over and over, but not even a sputter trying to start... Fuel pump comes on and primes with no issues and i could smell gas when it was turning over, but still nothing. I read somewhere that if the tach doesnt jump to 400-500 rpms when cranking (mine did not move while trying to crank) that its the ICM. What do yall think? Is it most likely the ICM since it literally went from running great to dying overnight that its the ICM? Havent had a chance to check for spark or try spraying starting fluid in TB because i get home so late, but hoping to dive into the troubleshooting and repair either tomorrow ( i get off early ) or saturday. Hoping its a quick fix because there is a Cars and Coffee in the neighboring town that i was hoping to bring it to on saturday IF i can get it running again Thank you in advance for any and all advice and info you might be able to offer! It is greatly appreciated!

Channing
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes.. try another ICM before you do any other fix. You can test it at the Auto parts store, but odds are very high that it is bad.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ICM gets my vote. e of mine just up and died. Car was running, then it wasn't.
Now I always carry a spare and tools to change it.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

... Now I always carry a spare and tools to change it.

That is so smart! When I get my car back on the road I'm going to follow your advice.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you take anything apart, reseat the wiring connections on the top of the coil, and the jumper that goes to the distributor. The low voltage stuff. Not the coil wire.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-19-2020).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy the "professional Grade" AC/Delco ICM.....PN D1984A, which is $58 on Amazon...While there get a couple of tubes of Artic Silver thermal paste...I have a small box with a spare ICM and a tube of the paste in the front compartment (Plus I carry a tool kit (With the PROPER tools to change the ICM)

Spread some of the paste between the Distributor base and the ICM....It gets HOT and transfers the heat to the Dist'...Even tho the exhaust is right under the distributor, the module is actually HOTTER......

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock