2.8 Fuel to Injectors Issue by fffttt1
Started on: 11-16-2020 12:51 PM
Replies: 9 (179 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-21-2020 09:03 PM
fffttt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, haven't been on here in ages. Parked my 1987 2.8 GT manual about a year ago. Started and ran at the time. Not sure, but I may have replaced the fuel filter around then. Now she won't start. Fuel pump runs; warning lights illuminate, oil/oil pressure indicating and fuel getting to the pressure regulator. When I prime the throttle body with gas from a spray bottle she starts. If I keep spraying into throttle body she keeps running. Noticed the schrader valve on top of fuel regulator; removed cap and wedged valve open w/screw driver; turned key to on and fuel flows from schrader valve. Took key to start and she fired up and ran for a bit while gas was flowing from the valve, then stalled. Did this about three times. Does any of this give one of you experts a clue as to what is happening?
Thanks, Ray in TX.

[This message has been edited by fffttt1 (edited 11-16-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fffttt1:

Noticed the schrader valve on top of fuel regulator; removed cap and wedged valve open w/screw driver; turned key to on and fuel flows from schrader valve.

"flows"? If fuel doesn't spray out of there under a lot (40 psi) of pressure, you need to get a fuel pressure tester on there. I suspect you'll be needing to drop the tank, possibly to replace the short length of hose connected to the pump.
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick. Fuel flows out at a pretty good rate. Kinda like a bubbler drinking fountain. But I couldn't say it's spraying. Could be rust clogging it. I've dropped the tank three times previously to change fuel pumps and clean out a rusty insides. Maybe I can disconnect near the tank, fuel filter & intake, and blow down the line, then check pressure.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fuel flows out at a pretty good rate. Kinda like a bubbler drinking fountain. But I couldn't say it's spraying. Could be rust clogging it.

Definitely sounds like low fuel pressure... but yes, it could be due to tank rust plugging up your fuel filter.
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2020 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK......removed the fuel filter and blew it out. Also disconnected fuel line @ regulator, and blew it out. Ran fuel pump for awhile to flush line from tank to filter inlet. Saw no significant rust/particulate. Installed fuel filter noting outlet markings properly oriented. She still won't start. Gonna buy a fuel pressure gauge. Where do I connect to test fuel pump pressure? At the schrader valve on the pressure regulator? Thanks for any help.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2020 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gonna buy a fuel pressure gauge. Where do I connect to test fuel pump pressure? At the schrader valve on the pressure regulator?

Yes. Make sure to not only check fuel pressure while the engine's running, but also how long it holds the pressure after the engine is turned off. It should not drop quickly.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-18-2020).]

fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2020 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick. So, when I connect the fuel pressure gauge to the schrader valve, does the gauge depress the pintle in the schrader allowing flow?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2020 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep.
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought the Harbor Freight injector fuel pressure test kit. Fuel pump is only putting out 10-12 psi @ fuel pressure regulator. Don't know why. It's a new AC Delco Fuel Pump EP386 pump that I installed last fall when I dropped the tank and cleaned out rust/debris. Gonna drop the tank and test again before I remove it. Ordered a new ACDelco Fuel Pump EP381 pump from Amazon.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's a new AC Delco Fuel Pump EP386 pump that I installed last fall when I dropped the tank and cleaned out rust/debris.

No wonder your 2.8 won't run. That's the fuel pump for the duke 4-banger!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-21-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock