3800sc bad tap noise by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 11-14-2020 11:10 PM
Replies: 2 (132 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 11-15-2020 03:19 PM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so 3800sc out of a 1997 riviera I finally finished the install and got it running I did a test drive with it the other night stock open manifold out the trunk to see how it would go and now all the sudden I have this what could this be. I got the motor from a bone yard which showed 150k on the odometer. Heard it run didn’t make any tapping but now it sounds like it’s top end knock
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
coolink13

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2020 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coolink13Send a Private Message to coolink13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about the knock. you could drain the oil and check for metal or silver colored oil to start with. Next pull the valve covers for inspection and see what you find?? I was going to look at a 1998 buick 3800 super charged with 157K . I lost out on it. but I was going to rebuild it. Hope this helps
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2020 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get yourself 2 1/2' of 1/2"or 3/4" hose and a large funnel. Using duct tape fasten the hose to the funnel. Now start the engine and use the hose as a stethoscope, the funnel being the ear piece end. Probe around and you will locate the noise.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock