Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  88 Formula slightly pulls to the left under acceleration...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
88 Formula slightly pulls to the left under acceleration... by Boozeman
Started on: 11-14-2020 01:24 PM
Replies: 9 (272 views)
Last post by: Boozeman on 11-16-2020 05:56 PM
Boozeman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
... and then back to the right when I let off the throttle. Any idea what might cause this?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something is loose in the rear.

Worn lateral link bushings
Loose lateral link bolts (the long one through the knuckle is commonly loose)
Loose rear wheel bearing
Cradle is severely rusted and the lateral link attachment points are moving.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
or.....Broken motor mounts. Sometimes hard to see, but if you jack up the engine a little, the motor mount will show itself.
Boozeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you - I'll check these out.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had exactly this situation.....Was going crazy (Short trip!) checking all of the suspension for looseness or damage/wear....Noticed oil dripping from one of my struts- pulled it off and collapsed it...No return; It had leaked and lost all pressure and some fluid. Picked up a new strut and the problem went away.

I push my car hard in the twisties....Handles great but that situation was on the San Mateo bridge- straight shot for 5-6 miles...so very noticable.

Let me reiterate; Pulls to one side under acceleration, pulls the opposite way under deceleration.....The symptoms of one limp strut.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Loose lateral link bolts (the long one through the knuckle is commonly loose)

I had been working on the rear suspension of my Formula at a friend's house the night before autocross. When I drove home that night, something didn't feel right when I was merging onto the freeway. There was a slight "wiggle" in the rear end. Seemed minor though. The next day at autocross, the slight "wiggle" turned into a "lose all control" situation... and I came oh-so-close to putting the car through a fence. And yes, I discovered afterwards that the driver side lateral link bolt had not been tightened up properly the night before. Lesson learned!

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boozeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, it looks like Fieroguru nailed it. I've got all fairly new neoprene bushings in my suspension, so last night I checked all the nuts and bolts on the rear suspension, and they were all super tight with the exception of the nut on the lateral link bolt on the knuckle. I tightened it down very tight before seeing in the manual that this nut is only supposed to be torqued to 36 lbs. (which doesn't seem tight enough). That being said, I loosened it back up until I felt it was at about 40 - 45 lbs. Only got to take th ecar for a short test drive, but the situation seemed to be much better, if not eliminated. I'll test it again after work today, but I think this did the trick. Thanks to Fieroguru and all those who responded. I really appreciate the help!

Does everyone really only torque this nut to 36 lbs., or is it recommended that it be tighter, especially when using neoprene bushings?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually the proper torque for the bolt thru the two lateral links at the spindle is; Lat' arms spindle bolt = 37 lb/ft + 90*

Which means to torque it to 37 lb/ft and then twist it thru 90 degrees....so it will be at a substantially higher total value.

ALL of the suspension torque specs are available under the "Faqs & how tos" heading on Pennocks- Link; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum9/HTML/000048.html
Boozeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thakn you, cvxjet - I appreciate the clarification! I'll go back and reset the torque, although that's probably roughly where I set it to.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock