Windshield glass by Stingray92
Started on: 11-10-2020 07:56 AM
Replies: 8 (474 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-16-2020 06:32 PM
Stingray92

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2020 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What type of windshield glass are available anymore? My glass guy says he can get a green tint or grey tint. Can't say that I ever recall of seeing a grey tint on a Fiero.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2020 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what's available now but I have grey tint in my doors. The company I used is no longer in business. Maybe others will chime in later.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2020 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think only made now is PPG "Blue" Tinted windshield.
Might find NOS part in some warehouse hidden for decades.

should be same glass for all Fiero but 2 PN for most brands because of mirror button charge in 87-88.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Honest Don

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Honest DonSend a Private Message to Honest DonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to get mine replaced last year. The tint is blue.

[This message has been edited by Honest Don (edited 11-11-2020).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2020 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not really seeing why it matters. Just buy whatever is available.
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm trying to keep the car as original as feasible.

I reached out to Richard @ Prosource last year but the inventory they had was disposed of.

This is from the glass currently in the car, unfortunately its been cracked across the top pretty good. If I get a pic of the grey glass I'll post it.

Boozeman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got mine replaced by Safelite in the last month or two. They told me the only tinted ones available are blue. I was concerned because I have charcoal grey tinted windows, but it actually blends in fine. I really don't think it looks blue, but that's what they say it is.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was cutting large limbs from a mountain ash tree in my backyard this past summer... and yeah... I had a slight mishap.

It was going to cost $500 to have it replaced with a new windshield. Since I've also got two Fiero parts cars, I got a quote to see what a shop would charge to install a used windshield that I supplied. Turns out a lot of shops won't install a used windshield. They stated it's due to the danger of it cracking during the install. I believe it has more to do with their profit margin being lessened due to the lack of supplying a new windshield. Anyway I found a place that came to my backyard and charged $180. I usually like to do everything myself, but it was definitely worthwhile hiring someone to install it. A windshield installation is easy to botch up, and besides, just the proper urethane adhesive alone would've cost me $60+.

However, a lot of work was first entailed by me to remove the broken windshield and to remove the good windshield from my parts car. It became readily apparent that it would be a whole lot easier with the roof panel (including A-pillars) removed, as well as the dash. I used an Olfa knife to cut through the old adhesive... sometimes from the outside, sometimes from the inside. It wasn't a five minute job.

In the picture above, you can see evidence of a lot of rust around the windshield. (No wonder it had leaked for years!) After the glass was removed, I spent a lot of time cleaning off the rust down to the bare metal, and then priming it all. I also decided to transfer over the sunroof from my parts car, as the Fiero I was repairing never originally had a sunroof. Big job, but I'm happy with how it eventually worked out.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-16-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is not just profit.
Used windshield often have problems and remove or installing them can fail instantly or days later.
Scratches/dings on surface or at edges can grow into cracks with new stress loads.
Anyone "cut" the "glue" holding glass can easily make more dings at edges to glow when or after install and that's even w/ "right tools." They can ding up any sealers at edges keeping out "water" getting at plastic layer. "water" and other pollution at edges can permanently "fog" the plastic layer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock