Exhaust manifold temperature 3.4 swap by go faster
Started on: 10-25-2020 05:06 PM
Replies: 10 (286 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-28-2020 03:31 PM
go faster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Manifold is glowing. l'm using a temp gun and seeing 600 to700 plus degrees on truck side manifold at cylinders #1 and #3. #5 is showing about 300 ish Found a couple of vacuum leaks and adjusted the timing. Only can see manifold glowing at night. Would like to get exhaust temperature figure so i could check temps during day time. Exhaust manifold restrictions removed and have been ceramic coated. A Spintech muffler was added. Thanks

[This message has been edited by go faster (edited 10-25-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by go faster:

Manifold is glowing... 600 to700 plus degrees on truck side manifold at cylinders #1 and #3.
#2 is showing about 300 ish

Quite a difference in temperatures from one side to the other. Are the front bank cylinders even firing? Check the injector fuses.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-25-2020).]

go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front side is glowing at #6 from what i can see. Will check to see if injectors are working.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by go faster:

Found a couple of vacuum leaks and adjusted the timing.

Perhaps double-check that the harmonic balancer hasn't slipped. If it has, then the ignition timing will be off. Make sure that actual TDC of #1 is 0° on the timing scale.
go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Harmonic balancer is new. Will check timing thinking the timing is off and the motor is firing with the exhaust valve open.
go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

go faster

112 posts
Member since May 2003
Found this under exhaust gas temperature.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2020 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At night, both manifolds (well, what I can see of the front one) on my Fiero get a visible dark cherry glow after sustained highway driving. It runs like a top. After a few minutes of city driving or idling the manifolds stop glowing.

It would be bizarre if both your banks aren't working the same.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 10-26-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2020 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ed Parks, I believe, made the statement that, in a dark garage, it's quite normal to see a slight glow from the Fiero manifolds.

When I was breaking in my cam (fast idle) I lit those suckers up.

If it runs decently, I wouldn't sweat a little bit of a glow, as long as they're not bright orange or white. With that said, you would think they would be at sort-of similar temperatures, if everything is working properly.
go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2020 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at the field service manual It's stated to check for blockage at the injector. I found that my primary fuel line after the fuel filter was cracked and some type of putty was used to stop the leak. Maybe that is the cause of #5 cylinder being long in temperature.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2020 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can tell a lot by inspecting the spark plugs. If one injector is plugged and/or leaking, the associated spark plug will certainly look different than the rest.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock