Can't shift into first when cold by owenspike
Started on: 10-24-2020 01:44 PM
Replies: 5 (441 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-24-2020 11:42 PM
owenspike

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for owenspikeSend a Private Message to owenspikeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's down to 20-30° where I live, anyone else have a hard time shifting into first when it's freezing out, or is that a problem just I have?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First in particular, or all gears?

Near freezing temps, all cars I have driven are difficult to shift for the first few km of driving. Once the transmission oil heats up, then shifting becomes normal.

I double-clutch all shifts (not just Fieros, but any vehicle) when the gearbox is cold. Shifting is smoother this way.

When the gearbox is warmed up, then I single-clutch the upshifts.

For downshifts, I always double-clutch, even when the gearbox is warmed up.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need some of this. Drain your old stuff out (on a warm day) and add this. You'll think someone rebuilt your trans. The factory also recommended it as well.
Do a search for more info.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Dspoeth

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DspoethSend a Private Message to DspoethEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an issue before where my cable was freezing. The sealing had seen better days and water got in the cable. I sprayed WD40 down the cable and worked the cable back and forth a bunch. It got me by until I got new cables.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getrag 5-speeds will have the problem moving over to the 1-2 shift gate in freezing weather when the select cable gets water inside. In the early stages, just letting the engine warm up will allow shifting because the coolant crossover pipe heat will thaw the ice that's formed inside. Later, as the cable begins to fray inside, it becomes more and more difficult until the cable finally locks up.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. Use right oil in the trans = syncho oil shown above.
Many use "gear oil" GL4 or GL5 and will cause problems

Yes water in cables won't help...
Don't use WD40 and other "oil" in car cables.
Oil and whatever add to it to make whatever can ruin many control cables.

Some made "cable lube" but they can cause same problem is some cables w/ oil or strong solvents so what what is made of.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock