Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  After owning Fieros for 25+ yrs, I vote this as the Best Mod. Plus update on 87 GT.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
After owning Fieros for 25+ yrs, I vote this as the Best Mod. Plus update on 87 GT. by DimeMachine
Started on: 10-24-2020 07:03 AM
Replies: 26 (893 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 11-21-2020 11:48 PM
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like many on this forum, I have owned and modified Fieros for many years.

I have had this upgrade for 9 years and in my OPINION, it is the best upgrade for the 84-87 Fiero. Plus I have an update on the 87 GT.

Do something out in the garage to your Fiero TODAY!

Dime

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 10-24-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

Like many on this forum, I have owned and modified Fieros for many years.

I have had this upgrade for 9 years and in my OPINION, it is the best upgrade for the 84-87 Fiero. Plus I have an update on the 87 GT.

Do something out in the garage to your Fiero TODAY!

Dime

Cool
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did it on mine years ago and it it is by far the safest upgrade because you are not really messing with the brakes themselves, just the amount of force being applied. It sure beats working legs in the gym for a couple of years to get the same pressure!

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can’t agree more.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll agree that the S-10 booster is an excellent nearly bolt in upgrade.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments Dennis, Dave and JJD2296!

Appreciate it!

Dime.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

Squall86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2020 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Squall86GTSend a Private Message to Squall86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for this post. I was wondering about this exact thing. So if I get the 54 Dash 7106 for remanufactured brake booster plus the part from Rodney‘s website – is there any other part I need to get to do this?

Kind kind of sounds like the next best break upgrade would be slotted or vented rotors to prevent say - is that the general consensus?
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2020 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been thinking about it, because everyone says how better it is.

Nice video.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great video! I plan on doing this upgrade in the spring!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2020 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Squall86GT:

Thanks for this post. I was wondering about this exact thing. So if I get the 54 Dash 7106 for remanufactured brake booster plus the part from Rodney‘s website – is there any other part I need to get to do this?

Kind kind of sounds like the next best break upgrade would be slotted or vented rotors to prevent say - is that the general consensus?

You do need a block of wood and a hammer to make a little "room" for the booster. It doesn't take much but you do need to add a little clearance.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2020 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have had this upgrade for 9 years...

From... $100 brake upgrade

Originally posted by Patrick:

Every time this 12 year old thread comes up, I can't help but feel that too many of you have been skipping leg day at the gym.

PFF
System Bot
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2020 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I've been thinking about it, because everyone says how better it is.

Nice video.

Thank you!

I certainly did not invent this. I have just been using this mod for long enough to give a "long term" review - opinion (:-).

If you brakes are in a good state of repair and still lack the feel you are after (not responsive enough), then I would go for it!
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2020 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought one about 6 months ago but haven't install it. My theory is that it should make my non-vacuum window safer to stop. by applying more pressure.
The camshaft in the car doesn't make much vacuum but I did installed an auxiliary vacuum pump. Nice video!
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by La fiera:

I bought one about 6 months ago but haven't install it. My theory is that it should make my non-vacuum window safer to stop. by applying more pressure.
The camshaft in the car doesn't make much vacuum but I did installed an auxiliary vacuum pump. Nice video!

Thank you for the comment Sir! I would think it would assist more than the stocker regardless of how much vacuum you have. After you install, leave your feedback if you wouldn't mind!

Cheers!

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spamming PFF to get YT ad money is Very Weak. Another reason to use YT ad blockers.

"Clean" etc on California Roads makes this upgrade safe... Not.
This video Worse then a "White paper" pushing SS Brake hoses in "rubber brake lines vs stainless steel" //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

From... $100 brake upgrade

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

Every time this 12 year old thread comes up, I can't help but feel that too many of you have been skipping leg day at the gym.

[/QUOTE]

OK, now THAT is funny.
We call them prison legs. Most inmates do not work on the legs as much as the rest.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2020 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Enjoyed the video. Nice work.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 11-17-2020).]

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2020 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Spamming PFF to get YT ad money is Very Weak. Another reason to use YT ad blockers.

Thanks Ogre for saying what i was thinking. I didn't click the video and just read the comments to see what it was. I wish he would have put the s-10 booster in the link, but it was clearly avoided to encourage click thru.

Please just put the info in the post and ask to support the channel. Many would be happy to do so without the 'click-bait' garbage.
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2020 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running the 82 Corvette BMC on one of mine ... how does that compare?
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2020 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

"Clean" etc on California Roads makes this upgrade safe... Not.
This video Worse then a "White paper" pushing SS Brake hoses in "rubber brake lines vs stainless steel" //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html

Ogre.

Spammers drop unrelated garbage that people don't care to watch and flood you with it. They usually drop in one day and are never seen again. You know - the person that joined the forum yesterday and is on post #2.... I have been on this forum for 9 years and sincerely love Fiero's - if you actually read any of my posts or watch any of my videos that should be clear. I have owned about 13 of them over the past 35 years - you don't do that unless you like them.

PFF has slowly been dropping off in volume of activity each year since I have been coming here. I am trying to make things a little more lively and hopefully somewhat entertaining & educational. Everything I post on the technical questions forum is 100% related to Fiero's.

Sorry if you don't agree with the S-10 Brake booster upgrade but I happen to believe that it is the best upgrade for the Fiero (and many others like it too). It does not change front rear bias so there is no safety concern. My 19 year old son can squat 350lbs. MY Daughter can squat 75 lbs. So what you are saying is that when my son drives the Fiero with an STOCK brake booster it is unsafe because his leg is too strong??? I don't get the logic as to how extra assist from the S10 booster (a preference item really) is somehow unsafe.

As for me making a fortune posting a FIERO video on Pennocks Fiero Forum - I will be lucky if I make $5 per hour for the time I put into it - when all is said and done. Each Video Takes 5-20 hours. It's true. I like Fiero's, I like making Videos and just like peanut butter and jelly, some people put the two together.

From reading your contributions the past years - they are always quite good and it is clear you are very well educated - automotive and other. You have put a lot of time into your Cave and direct people their daily - which is awesome and appreciated by all.

If you lived nearby I would stop by with a beer or a soda so we could talk - I think if you got to know me better you would know I really am a Fiero guy and a decent human being. I hope you will think about this and change your mind. If you don't, then simply ignore my posts.

Cheers.

Dime

------------------

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 11-18-2020).]

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2020 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You do need a block of wood and a hammer to make a little "room" for the booster. It doesn't take much but you do need to add a little clearance.

Pardon me for not looking up the 'how to' posts but I'm curious how much sheet metal beating is involved. How bad does it look with the new booster in place?
PFF
System Bot
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2020 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Enjoyed the video. Nice work.

Thank you kindly - I appreciate it!
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2020 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DimeMachine

957 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I'm running the 82 Corvette BMC on one of mine ... how does that compare?

I have no direct experience with that master cylinder so I an not able to comment.

Seems like folks on here have tried just about every combination through the years so perhaps someone else will chime in.

------------------

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2020 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DimeMachine

957 posts
Member since Sep 2011

Originally posted by Notorio:

Pardon me for not looking up the 'how to' posts but I'm curious how much sheet metal beating is involved. How bad does it look with the new booster in place?

Short answer - I have not noticed the slight dents needed to make the booster clear since I put mine in - and I am fairly particular about my cars. If it is a show car- you may want to pass on this - but you would anyways in that case since this is a visually noticeable modification.

AustinH from the forum did a nice how to vid on this if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589fTgO7q6o&t=564s

------------------

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 11-17-2020).]

BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good video for a useful mod.

I'd only take issue with one statement - that there were no anti-lock brakes when the Fiero was designed. There were some American cars with anti lock systems from the early 70s and a friend owned a British car from the 1960s that had a form of ABS. Several European cars had forms of ABS in the 70s/80s. American manufacturers tended not to incorporate such things unless forced to by legislation as it increased prices and many/most buyers didn't care if a car had it or not.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2020 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BillS:

Good video for a useful mod.

I'd only take issue with one statement - that there were no anti-lock brakes when the Fiero was designed. There were some American cars with anti lock systems from the early 70s and a friend owned a British car from the 1960s that had a form of ABS. Several European cars had forms of ABS in the 70s/80s. American manufacturers tended not to incorporate such things unless forced to by legislation as it increased prices and many/most buyers didn't care if a car had it or not.

Thank you for the comment & correction - I appreciate it!

Dime

------------------

Notorio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2020 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Short answer - I have not noticed the slight dents needed to make the booster clear since I put mine in - and I am fairly particular about my cars. If it is a show car- you may want to pass on this - but you would anyways in that case since this is a visually noticeable modification.

AustinH from the forum did a nice how to vid on this if you are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589fTgO7q6o&t=564s

Looks pretty invisible. Thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock