Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How to know if you need to adjust ebrake?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How to know if you need to adjust ebrake? by Squall86GT
Started on: 10-23-2020 10:00 PM
Replies: 10 (361 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-01-2020 01:59 PM
Squall86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2020 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Squall86GTSend a Private Message to Squall86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got a Fiero about a month ago. It seems to be in pretty good shape. When I pull up on the ebrake it gets firm and seems to work. Brakes seem OK but nothing like my 350 Z. So I wondered if they needed an adjustment. I read the information on how to adjust the E brake. But how do you know if you need to adjust the E brake?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How many "clicks" until your parking brake is tight?

Off the top of my head I don't remember the number, but over a certain number of clicks (5?), the brake needs to be adjusted.
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Parking brake should be set with 3 to 6 clicks. The car should not roll once set. If your car doesn't fit within these parameters you should inspect the parking brake.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
............But don't expect it to ever be as good as your Nissan.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My rear brakes(86gt) are fairly new, and I try to use the PB once every time I drive it to keep all the parts moving. With 3 clicks it will hold the car in neutral on a steep hill. And releases completely after.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2020 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The handle should max out after about 8 clicks. But if the ebrake isn't holding the car, Id suggest trying to shorten up the cable a bit.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2020 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Handle has ~ 11 clicks.
But The FSM allows 9 clicks Max to apply them.

Ideally you want to adjust so you're w/in the middle â…“ of total movement of whatever use to apply... extra Pedal for some, Hand lever for Fiero and others, etc. (70's Ford Maverick and some others had a handle on the dash that you pull out to apply. Fun. Not.)
If possible for Fiero try to adjust so you only pull ⅓ to ½ of total travel of the hand lever. More and many have problems for ergonomic reasons even tho FSM says is right to pull 9 clicks.

3 click to apply is low. Maybe is a problem or not...
Make Sure Both levers on the rear calipers return to the builtin stops there or likely have problems now or soon. Don't go by feel. Release the hand brake and look at both rear calipers. Cable tension must Not keep the levels returning to their stops on the calipers.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-28-2020).]

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here
Here's another step you can do to self-adjust the e brake, if you don't already know, as long as the cables are adjusted right: Release e brake, press down on the foot brake, and hold, now pull the e brake handle up tight, then release the foot brake, then the e brake...This worked very well on my 86 GT...
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never counted the clicks till the other day. I just pulled it till it would not move on the slope of my driveway. When I just pull on it normally it probably goes about 5 clicks. The cables are almost new and the calipers are newer rebuilds. I have yet to find a hill it will not hold on. Admittedly, where I live is not the hilliest in Ontario, I refer to it as Flatario. When I release the brake it moves right away so there is no binding, no heat build up. The only thing I do not like about my stock rear brakes is the lack of pad selection.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:
Here's another step you can do to self-adjust the e brake, if you don't already know, as long as the cables are adjusted right: Release e brake, press down on the foot brake, and hold, now pull the e brake handle up tight, then release the foot brake, then the e brake...This worked very well on my 86 GT...
Is How to Apply, not to how to adjust.
Just read OM... Or See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/143201.html#p17

For Parking brakes, the rear piston will self-adjust w/o you doing anything. All vehicles w/ hydro brakes are same way per FMVSS and related Rules worldwide. GM and NHTSA made a "backdoor deal" to allow GM blaming Fiero and other owners for not using the P-brake in a Recall that strangely only applies to Manual Trans cars...

The Rear brakes have problems likely because GM Bean Counters made "Engineering" changes etc to cut cost.

When P-brake stop self-adjusting then you start problems w/ service/hydro brake like low pedal because too much rear pad clearance. When that is ignored, the piston can blow out the back and drag the pads... That can wear out pads fast, warp a rotor, boil the fluid or even cause a fire.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2020 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32256 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by wftb:
The only thing I do not like about my stock rear brakes is the lack of pad selection.
Is wrong car for you if that's a problem... Because This is Common for any car 20+ years old, More so w/ 30+ years or even more.
No parts maker wants to keep a lot of inventory for "antique" cars that won't sell fast. Many times you have to deal w/ RA or worse Ebay as most chain stores carry less and less of "Fiero" parts. Even RA will dry up for same reason.

Go try to find part for 60' or 70's cars w/o a famous model like Camaro/TA etc. Even w/ famous models is hard or impossible to find good parts.

Only reason many Engine parts and some others are still made is many to most are used in a lot of models plus many items fit many engines like GM 1 bar MAP sensor.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock