Started on: 10-22-2020 01:52 AM
Replies: 8 (520 views)
Last post by: Iain on 11-06-2020 09:21 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Although I'm working on my Subie, this question probably pertains to any caliper rebuild, including Fieros. So please bear with me.

First, an admission. I've been working on cars for 50 years, but I've never rebuilt a brake caliper. Ever.

I discovered that the left rear caliper piston of my '98 JDM Subaru Impreza STi was starting to bind due to the rubber boot being torn and the protruding edge of the piston becoming corroded. With the car being JDM (Japanese Domestic Market), it's always a challenge trying to find parts... but that's a rant for a different forum. Anyway, I got what I believe to be the correct caliper rebuild kit. The rubber boot is correct, but I wasn't sure about the internal seal. The OD of the piston is 38mm, whereas the ID of the seal is at least 39mm. If anything, I thought the ID of the seal should be slightly smaller than the OD of the piston.

Is it usual for the replacement seal to be larger than the caliper piston? Does the seal get compressed somehow when it's installed in the bore? Or do I simply have the wrong seal?

Please help a "newb" out!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming the main seal is in the caliper before piston...
Main seal is a bit compress by the caliper and might be right size when installed. Then piston compress it a bit more to seal w/o binding.

Plus many "books" have errors even if parts are right or not like Fiero Rad cap in most stores w/o current Stant cap in their computers.

Try using Japanese auto site to check the size. If site defaults to Japanese, (Some use your IP to set language) Look careful for language option because many have English or multiple options. Maybe somewhere near top or bottom. Or can try Google Translate.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Assuming the main seal is in the caliper before piston...
Main seal is a bit compress by the caliper and might be right size when installed. Then piston compress it a bit more to seal w/o binding.

Thanks Ogre. Yes, I'm referring to the internal seal that needs to be positioned within the groove in the bore of the caliper before the piston is inserted.

I'm beginning to suspect that the ID of the new seal is indeed supposed to be slightly larger than the OD of the piston, and that the cylinder itself prevents the seal from being loose on the piston when everything is assembled. It's just that because I had never done this before, it seemed bizarre that the seal was a loose fit on the piston before installation.

Because I wasn't sure what to do yesterday, I ended up just leaving the original internal seal in place, cleaning up the bit of corrosion on the outer perimeter/edge of the piston, and reassembling the caliper with only the addition of the new rubber boot. I'll keep an eye on that caliper for awhile to see if anything untoward is occurring.

This is a picture which shows the rip in the original rubber boot. The opening allowed water to enter, and to eventually start to corrode the now exposed internal edge of the piston.

During my research, I learned what moves the piston back when the brakes are released. It's actually the internal rubber seal... as the diagram below illustrates. I had no idea!

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Older Corvettes didn't have the rectangular-section seals we take today for granted.

With what they had, the pads dragged more, reducing fuel economy slightly.
Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2020 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Although I'm working on my Subie, this question probably pertains to any caliper rebuild, including Fieros. So please bear with me.

First, an admission. I've been working on cars for 50 years, but I've never rebuilt a brake caliper. Ever.

I discovered that the left rear caliper piston of my '98 JDM Subaru Impreza STi was starting to bind due to the rubber boot being torn and the protruding edge of the piston becoming corroded. With the car being JDM (Japanese Domestic Market), it's always a challenge trying to find parts... but that's a rant for a different forum. Anyway, I got what I believe to be the correct caliper rebuild kit. The rubber boot is correct, but I wasn't sure about the internal seal. The OD of the piston is 38mm, whereas the ID of the seal is at least 39mm. If anything, I thought the ID of the seal should be slightly smaller than the OD of the piston.

Is it usual for the replacement seal to be larger than the caliper piston? Does the seal get compressed somehow when it's installed in the bore? Or do I simply have the wrong seal?

Please help a "newb" out!

Patrick, if you have problems in the future it may be worth checking these people:
http://biggred.co.uk/
I've used them a lot, very helpful, and their parts fit perfectly.
They're on ebay.co.uk with the same username, can't give you a link as ebay is blocked on this computer.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2020 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Iain:

Bigg Red

They're on ebay.co.uk with the same username...

Interestingly enough, according to their eBay site, they won't ship to Canada. Strange. Might still be a good site to poke around in though. Thanks Ian.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2020 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

Thanks for your confession. I have been working on cars for 36 years and have never rebuilt a brake caliper. I was wondering if I was the only one... lol

Cheers!

Dime

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 11-02-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2020 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

I have been working on cars for 36 years and have never rebuilt a brake caliper. I was wondering if I was the only one... lol

Well damn, you're not much help!

Iain

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2020 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IainSend a Private Message to IainEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wonder if it's an ebay Global Shipping thing.

I've sent lots of Suzuki bits to people in Canada in the past, never had any problems.

If I can ever help let me know.

regards
iain

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock