2.8 Crankshaft with factory reluctor wheel by La fiera
Started on: 10-21-2020 09:00 AM
Replies: 9 (344 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 10-21-2020 06:52 PM
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I need your help. Since Fieros didn't come with this crank and according to the rules of the forum I had to ask here.
I'm gathering parts for my next Supernatural "Screamer" short block and the main component is the 3.0' stroke of the 2.8.
The late 80's Beretta's and Chevy Celebrity Sport came with it if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone guide me to one or maybe if you
have one laying around can sell it to me?

Thanks!
Rei
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
claude dalpe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The engine block I gave to Pm Brunelle was a Beretta 3.1 block with aluminum head, the cranksaft has the reluctor for the crank senser and Pm Brunelle reassembled it like a turbo fiero the 3.1 block is better than the block 2.8 ask Pm Brunelle.

Claude
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by claude dalpe:

The engine block I gave to Pm Brunelle was a Beretta 3.1 block with aluminum head, the cranksaft has the reluctor for the crank senser and Pm Brunelle reassembled it like a turbo fiero the 3.1 block is better than the block 2.8 ask Pm Brunelle.

Claude

Hello Claude!
What I need is the 3.0inch stroke crank from the 2.8, the 3.1 has 3.31inch stroke just like the 3.4L and same bore as the 2.8.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Gen-2 V6 is what you're looking for. They were 2.8 and 3.1 liters. According to wikipedia, the 2.8 was used in these vehicles:
  • 1988–1989 Buick Regal
  • 1987–1989 Chevrolet Beretta
  • 1987–1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
  • 1987–1989 Chevrolet Corsica
  • 1987–1989 Pontiac 6000
  • 1988–1989 Pontiac Grand Prix
  • 1987–1989 Chevrolet Celebrity
  • 1987–1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
  • 1987–1989 Buick Century
  • 1988-1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

These might be hard to find, considering how old they are. Maybe a crank rebuilder has one lying around?

EDIT: Forgot to add, the casting number on the crankshaft should be 481 or 526.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-21-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not exactly what you were looking for, but:
https://www.rockauto.com/en...gine,crankshaft,5292

A good machine shop could cut notches into the blank wheel. I would copy the same notch shape (notch width and depth) as stock.

If you want to use MegaSquirt with it, you could have a 36-1 pattern cut into the wheel.

The missing tooth doesn't need to be at any particular angle relative to TDC compression #1. In software, you can adjust the trigger offset.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pmbrunelle

4376 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Using the car-part website, I found some suitable 2.8 engines:
La fiera

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Not exactly what you were looking for, but:
https://www.rockauto.com/en...gine,crankshaft,5292

A good machine shop could cut notches into the blank wheel. I would copy the same notch shape (notch width and depth) as stock.

If you want to use MegaSquirt with it, you could have a 36-1 pattern cut into the wheel.

The missing tooth doesn't need to be at any particular angle relative to TDC compression #1. In software, you can adjust the trigger offset.

Thanks Patrick! As long as is internally balanced I can use an external trigger wheel!

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In that case, you could also use an '88 Fiero V6 crankshaft. It's also internally balanced, and has a "blank" trigger wheel cast into it.
StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM also made some short stroke forged cranks for the Chinese market. The LB8 is a 2.6 stroke 2.5l, and the LW9 is a 3in stoke 3.0l. The rod journals are 2.25 iirc but that leaves room for an offset grind if you wanted to have the journals cut to the standard 2.0 size

https://m.alibaba.com/amp/product/60806473686.html
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe my wife's 88 Beretta GT crankshaft probably had the reluctor wheel. I don't ever remember seeing any kind of external pickup on it. I also stored someone else's 88 Beretta engine and it didn't have an external pickup.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock