Air to air intercooler by jjd2296
Started on: 10-21-2020 07:10 AM
Replies: 12 (286 views)
Last post by: jjd2296 on 10-22-2020 10:42 AM
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to see if anyone has used a small air to air inter cooler mounted on the side wall of the engine bay where the factory air box is located. I’m doing a supercharger install and have room right in that location to squeeze in a inter cooler with top mounted fan if I can find one to fit.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never tried it but if you can get a fan in there it would probably work ok. I noticed some turbo Audis have some compact intercoolers tucked in to the front of the fenders, one on each side. I didnt grab them but there were 2 Audis like that at the pick and pull on hwy 86 south of Wingham.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
do you remember what year they were? ive been looking at the BMW N55 engine as that air to air intercooler is nice and small.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No sorry.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For an air to air intercooler, the unit must be exposed to cool outside air, otherwise it will not be efficient. I do not see the engine compartment as having enough of a cool air supply necessary for good air to air efficiency. The wheel well might be a better location.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
and this unit might work for just that purpose. its dimensions are quite small, at 7 15/16 inch long, 7 7/17 wide and 2 4/9 thick
IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1996-1998 VW diesel Passat, Jetta Golf's have small intercoolers in the lower fender areas. They are affordable too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...0:g:h1YAAOSw-~pei6Zt

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

1996-1998 VW diesel Passat, Jetta Golf's have small intercoolers in the lower fender areas. They are affordable too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19...0:g:h1YAAOSw-~pei6Zt

That's for a 109 hp (or 89 hp?) engine.

I have my doubts that it's big enough for a souped-up Fiero engine (200+ hp?). I suppose that two of them could work.

Without knowing too much about a given part, I find that comparing the hp of the original application vs. the projected hp of the new project is a simple way to roughly evaluate if a part is appropriate for the task or not.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 10-21-2020).]

OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What supercharger/engine are you going to be running?
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post10-22-2020 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit: probably back to 1998.

Audi A4s have them, probably back to 2000 or so with the 1.8t and 2.0t. A6 with 2.7 V6 has one per side and twin K03 turbos. They look the same size as the 1.8 and 2.0 ones. The similar VW Passat and Jetta probably are identical since Audi and VW share platforms and shared the 1.8 and 2.0 liter turbo engine.

If anyone has a turbo Jetta and wants to buy an aftermarket intercooler kit, I have a front mount IC kit for a Jetta but it's too long for the side pocket of the Fiero.

[This message has been edited by sourmash (edited 10-22-2020).]

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m running a modified 3.4 pr with tones of mods and installing a Vortech V1 sc on a custom bracket where the ac compressor goes. Similar set up as fierosound. Just trying to use an air to air intercooler in the wheel well if I can. Only planning 8lbs of boost
PFF
System Bot
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should be a nice little setup!

You could always run an air-water, and put the heat exchanger in the front of the car if you cant get the air-air to work.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should be able to get it to work. The sc will have the filter directly attached with a heat and debris shield on it. I see no point in trying to run an air feed line all the way the the drivers side wheel well just to drag it back to the sc and get all heated up on the way.

I’ll run the blower line up and across the back fire wall and I to the wheel well to the intercooler and back out to the TB woth a blow off valve along the way. My car is a garage queen and only goes out on sunny dry days so I’m not concerned about the filter getting wet. I’ll prop my add a filet cover to it to be safe.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock