PS rack connection to Fiero column by DrXtreme
Started on: 10-20-2020 05:46 PM
Replies: 12 (333 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 10-28-2020 11:22 AM
DrXtreme

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone connected a F-Body style power steering rack to the stock Fiero steering column? I can't replace the PS rack that came in my 1988 Mera so I'm trying to figure out how to connect a 103-0160 PS rack to the factory column. The new rack has a steeper angle than factory/my PS rack and being 6' 2" tall, I don't fit in the damn under hood area to look at it closely.

I figure I can make a mount for the rack on the cross member, connecting to the column has me puzzled.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2020 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrXtreme:

Has anyone connected a F-Body style power steering rack to the stock Fiero steering column? I can't replace the PS rack that came in my 1988 Mera so I'm trying to figure out how to connect a 103-0160 PS rack to the factory column. The new rack has a steeper angle than factory/my PS rack and being 6' 2" tall, I don't fit in the damn under hood area to look at it closely.

I figure I can make a mount for the rack on the cross member, connecting to the column has me puzzled.

The simple answer is yes. The complex answer is to get the rack with as close to 90* as possible.
I have done both angles but prefer the rack that has less of an angle.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rickady88gt is right. My rack is 2000 Trans Am with not the best angle but I got it to fit. 97-98 rack has better angle for installation. Notice hammer & chisel!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 10-21-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2020 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

rickady88gt is right. My rack is 2000 Trans Am with not the best angle but I got it to fit. 97-98 rack has better angle for installation. Notice hammer & chisel!

Spoon

I have ordered several of these racks but they have sent me both types, the closer to Fiero angle and the wide angle. I assume that the manuals say they are compatible in the F body? BUT the Fiero is happier with a straighter angle or 90*.
The most important thing about this rack is the WS6 option. That is the fast ratio v8 LS rack. You can work with the wide angle steering input shaft, but the fast ratio gear set is freaking awesome. Try to get a rack from an early LS v8 "F" body car.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is a bit off topic, but I seem to remember that the racks in ALL 1988 Fieros are power steering racks. Before you disagree with me.... follow my reasoning . The power steering spool is a press in option. The piston is not installed in the cylinder and the hydroponics are not welded on. BUT the components that are on the 88 rack are the very same parts used in the power steering racks that GM used on some Fieros. SO, for example, if you used a Chevette rack cylinder and machined piston ring groves on the Fiero rack gear and installed the piston, then press in a steering spool...... you have a Fiero power steering rack. BUT the major problem with this is that it will not have the fast ratio of the Vette ZR1 or F body ZO6. It will simply be a boosted Fiero rack.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 10-22-2020).]

GTPCAR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2020 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTPCARSend a Private Message to GTPCAREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the fast ratio F body steering racks can also be found in V6 cars with the Y87 option code. Probably easier to find in the U Pull It salvage yards then a V8 ( particularly the 98 - 02 LS cars ).
DrXtreme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spoon - Thank you for confirming my suspicion that the stock U-Joint will work at that angle. They make aftermarket to run tight angles, but wasn't going to spend the extra $$ unless the stock one binds.

It appears you used the stock type straps to hold it in place and there are no issues? I'm contemplating making a bar to bolt to the stock brackets the rack using the factoring mount on the rack.

I have the same rack number 103-0160 which is the 2.3 LTL rack.

Did you have to cut the inner rods to shorten them?

Dr Xtreme

[This message has been edited by DrXtreme (edited 10-25-2020).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2020 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spoon - Thank you for confirming my suspicion that the stock U-Joint will work at that angle. They make aftermarket to run tight angles, but wasn't going to spend the extra $$ unless the stock one binds.

It appears you used the stock type straps to hold it in place and there are no issues? I'm contemplating making a bar to bolt to the stock brackets the rack using the factoring mount on the rack.

I have the same rack number 103-0160 which is the 2.3 LTL rack.

Did you have to cut the inner rods to shorten them?

Dr Xtreme

Yes it is a tight angle and I had to widen the floor opening for the collapsible link to line up with the column. There was also no room for the weather protection tube so I used a small aftermarket shifter boot on the cabin side to keep the draft out.

Yes stock straps were used to secure the rack. I used the West Coast Fiero power steering kit. It has some built-in positioning features to assure the rack will be centered properly. So put away your slide rule, compass & protractors.

No ..no need to cut any tie rods. The kit mentioned above has adapters (see pic) that screw onto your PS rack basically making it the same width and position as your non-ps rack. This maintains the factory steering geometry... (more or less). This also helps should a time come when a tie rod needs replaced especially by any future recipients of the vehicle.

The downside of the WCF kit is the need to cut off the driver side mounting pad on the cross-member and also cut or grind off the driver side mount on the ps rack. I've picked up a replacement cross-member to have proper mounting lugs welded to it and I already purchased a replacement rack with the straighter angle. May make that my winter project.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2020 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No ..no need to cut any tie rods. The kit mentioned above has adapters (see pic) that screw onto your PS rack basically making it the same width and position as your non-ps rack. This maintains the factory steering geometry... (more or less). This also helps should a time come when a tie rod needs replaced especially by any future recipients of the vehicle.
Spoon

You have commented on several of my "power steering" posts, before. For that I am most grateful.
The F-body rack that I have is supposed to be a WS6 rack, but it has a pinion shaft that is nearly 90 degrees to the rack, as opposed to the 45 degree pictured here.
So far, so good.
Measured end-to-end, the F-body rack is approximately 20mm longer than the 88 Fiero rack. I have cut ~10mm off of each inner tie rod end. The outer tie rod ends (IIRC) are the same part number - 88 Fiero to F-body.
I have one remaining question...
What is the difference between the length of the F-body rack "center-link" vs the Fiero "center link". They appear to be fairly close in length, although not identical.
If I center the F-body rack, and just align it to the knuckles, will it be "close enough" to not cause any appreciable bump steer issues? I know of at least one person who did exactly that, but I don't remember who it was.

I'll also add, that the F-body rack - on center - places the steering shaft almost exactly 90 degrees "off" from where the Fiero steering shaft wants to be, with the wheel centered.
I forget what issues this may cause, but it seems like the turn signal cancel may be one of them. It's been a while since I even thought about it. (We just moved, and all of my bits and pieces are still in storage.)
I may not be exact, in all the details, but it's something to be aware of.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-28-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2020 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

You have commented on several of my "power steering" posts, before. For that I am most grateful.
The F-body rack that I have is supposed to be a WS6 rack, but it has a pinion shaft that is nearly 90 degrees to the rack, as opposed to the 45 degree pictured here.
So far, so good.
Measured end-to-end, the F-body rack is approximately 20mm longer than the 88 Fiero rack. I have cut ~10mm off of each inner tie rod end. The outer tie rod ends (IIRC) are the same part number - 88 Fiero to F-body.
I have one remaining question...
What is the difference between the length of the F-body rack "center-link" vs the Fiero "center link". They appear to be fairly close in length, although not identical.
If I center the F-body rack, and just align it to the knuckles, will it be "close enough" to not cause any appreciable bump steer issues? I know of at least one person who did exactly that, but I don't remember who it was.

I'll also add, that the F-body rack - on center - places the steering shaft almost exactly 90 degrees "off" from where the Fiero steering shaft wants to be, with the wheel centered.
It looks like the answer is to "clearance" the plastic disk at the top of the column, to allow for the extra angle, but it's been a while since I thought about it. (We just moved, and all of my bits and pieces are still in storage.)
I may not be exact, in all the details, but it's something to be aware of.

I tried to post a picture from this thread but for some reason it would not work. This thread lists some pictures and dimensions of 4 different racks.
Just scroll around the threads.
Lost of pictures.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140184.html

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 10-27-2020).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2020 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Rick. Got what I needed.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-28-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2020 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I made my adapters a little differently, I designed a left and right specific pair one side is longer than the other. Your set set looks symmetrical. The plastic is an extension for the dust boot and is a bump stop to keep the rack gear within its proper range of motion.
I made the F body adapters and Vette adapters with about the same offset. The rack does not sit in the center of the X member. The important part about aligning the rack in the X member is the steering shaft. The adapters then mated the stock Fiero tie rods to the rack. The stock Fiero geometry is kept EXACTLY as it was from the factory.

If you make one tie rod longer than the other, you will compromise you suspension geometry settings. This would cause a permanent, unadjustable condition.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 10-28-2020).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2020 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 10-28-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay