Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Can I put 16" wheels & tires on an "85 Fiero Coupe with no problems?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Can I put 16" wheels & tires on an "85 Fiero Coupe with no problems? by flyntus
Started on: 10-15-2020 07:57 PM
Replies: 10 (335 views)
Last post by: oneinch on 10-24-2020 01:04 AM
flyntus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flyntusSend a Private Message to flyntusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can I put 16" wheels & tires on an "85 Fiero Coupe with no problems?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In the broadest sense, yes.

If you had a particular size in mind, then folks could give a more precise answer.

Not all 16" wheels/tires fit the same way.

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. I have 16" on my 86 gt and they fit with no problem. Probably need a 40 profile to get the speedo right, check the tire rack for fitment options.

On the other hand even 16" wheels have limited sizes available. I would go with 17's myself if I was in the market.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will need to check the offset. Rear strut spring perch comes pretty close to the wheels and the wrong offset could be a catastrophe.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2020 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am running 16 x 7 (38 mm offset) wheels on my 85 SE V6 (Which has substantial body changes (But all Fiero parts and stock wheel wells)...I am running 205/55 and 225/55 tires on them- these are sizes that were common on a lot of popular cars so there is a good selection of tires; I am using General G-max all-season tirs at the moment which are highly rated (Tirerack and Me!)

The offset is critical; Between 35 mm and 45 mm.....the 35 should be acceptable while 40-45 would be good especially up front- better steering and less kickback thru the steering wheel over bumps...

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2020 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

Yes. I have 16" on my 86 gt and they fit with no problem. Probably need a 40 profile to get the speedo right, check the tire rack for fitment options.

On the other hand even 16" wheels have limited sizes available. I would go with 17's myself if I was in the market.

I'll agree that 17" wheels look nicer and are more available but they ride pretty hard. On the other hand 16" tires with a bigger sidewall will ride smoother. As sizes are available with the same OD as the original 15" tires; both 16" and 17" can be used to keep the speedometer reading accurate,
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2020 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I'll agree that 17" wheels look nicer and are more available but they ride pretty hard. On the other hand 16" tires with a bigger sidewall will ride smoother. As sizes are available with the same OD as the original 15" tires; both 16" and 17" can be used to keep the speedometer reading accurate,

I would not necessarily fixate on keeping the same OD as stock for speedo reading.

In my case, my speedo reads too high; a bigger than stock size (245/45R17) will get the reading accurate.

I suggest checking the speedo's accuracy with a GPS before committing to staying with a stock OD; it could be that changing the OD will result in a more accurate speedo.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2020 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An addendum; The diameter of the 225/55-16 tire is larger than the original 215/60-14 tires (25.7" vs 24.1") that were on my 85 SE V6 4 speed....My Speedo is absolutely dead on....

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-17-2020).]

altownsend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2020 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the wheel tire discussion. I have a request for wheel and tire combonation;

1986 Fiero, V-6, 4-Speed Manual transmission.

I have a very wide wheel well in the rear - see photo.

I am asking for recommendations on wheel and tire combo that will fit my application. In the rear, stock suspension, I have a total of 15 inches between the inside well and the outside of the fender lip. I want to get a wide enough wheel and tire to fill up the space. Thanks

I want to get an off of the shelf solution. Please comment

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2020 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to pay attention to the measurement I marked in red; Distance from mounting surface to strut for WHEEL clearance.....That is if you are running coil-overs. If you aren't then you need to watch the clearance between the spring seat and the tire.

I was running 15 x 7 with 215/60s and 225/60s....the wheels and tires were HEAVY. So then I switched to 16 x 7 Voxx Monza wheels (No long made) which were lighter than those 15 x 7s...and switched to General G-Max tires which were a couple of lbs lighter than the BFGs I was running before. Total weight cut was 3 lbs for each rear and 6 lbs for each front (Went slightly smaller tire up front (205 vs 215 mm).

The car went from being a clumsy riding/handling car to a actual sports car feel......Ford did a similar thing when going from GT350 to GT350R.....Composite wheels cut unsprung/rotational weight and made a huge difference in performance

Recently (2017) I re-tired with BFGs and they weighed 2 lbs + up front and 3 lbs + in back....Although the tires were rated very highly on TireRack, the car felt "Club-footed" and so in 2019 I switched back to General G-maxs...Much better!

Try to stay as light as possible (Newer cars have more advanced suspension-especially Shocks....And aluminum suspension components)
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2020 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out TireSize.com. I like this site. Lots of useful information and tools.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

[This message has been edited by oneinch (edited 10-24-2020).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors